Video Editing

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am really into editing, and I was wondering which is the best software to use. I know AVID is suppose to be the best, but I hear that Final Cut is up there too. I also hear that Adobe has good products too. Right now I use Sony Vegas, but its not really for professionals, My teachers say that AVID is the best to know, but i have the feeling that is really one sided. THey say that all movies are done with AVID but I know that the movie sin city was done in final cut, and that some other movies were done with Adobe. I was thinking that maybe I should just learn all of them, but then I would be a jackass of all trades master of none….so to speak….what do you suggest is the best to learn?

Inactive

TheLukaMan,
      Judging by job classified ads I’ve seen, I suspect your teacher is right about AVID. It seems to be very popular among studios. Of course, the small independent producers use whatever is comfortabe for them (and their bank accounts). BTW, regarding your comment about Sony Vegas, I wonder if you realize that several brands of video editing software come in both consumer and professional versions. You might be using Vegas Movie Studio, which is a consumer product.

If your goal is to get hired by a production company, editing THEIR movies, I suggest you target a few production companies you’d like to work for, and find out what editing packages they use. And make sure you know what computer platform the company uses. I’ve noticed a lot of heated prejudice regarding Mac vs. Windows. You wouldn’t want to walk into a company, talking about how great one computer platform was, only to discover they’re zealots for the other platform! X-D

If your goal is to make your own movies, then download some free trial versions of all the editing packages and experiment. I know the site for Vegas+DVD Production Suite 7 trial software is:
      http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/step2.asp?DID=698
      I’ll let you find the links to the other brands. πŸ˜‰
      BTW, I think Final Cut is only available for the Mac. The computer platform a studio (or independent producer) uses affects their choices of software.

Good luck, πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Inactive

i know that final cut and avid is the norm… those are what people use… avid is both apple and windows, and final cut is just apple unless you use an extremly specific pc computer. I use both and will admit both have their positives an negative, but i must say that i feel the use for basic editing final cut is a little easier. I just am more of a fan of final cut right now, but the mroe i use avid the more i do like it… but for both of them i havent used an editing software thats as easy to use as those two and do so much better things.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap