Video Compression, Not DVD format

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve seen other video compression topics, but mostly are used for DVD…so I’m hoping I’m not repeating another topic…

I’m editing premade videos that will be viewed online, where as many as 50+ people will view them, so I need the filesize to be very small, but with as much quality as I can get.

The videos are anywhere from 10 seconds to 3 minutes long, and their frame size is unknown (I don’t know how to figure that out). I’m not using flashy transitions, I’m just editing audio so it comes out of two speakers instead of one (a separate problem I have).

What settings would I need to produce a video to a VERY small size but with at least decent quality? I’ve tried changing around some of the settings but it’s VERY confusing, and I’ve ended up making videos that are 155 MB, 1 minute long, and the worst quality I’ve ever seen.

Also, I’m currently running a trial version of Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 to accomplish the tasks stated above. Any ideas?

Riva FLV Encoder is useful for creating (flash) clips for places like YouTube. It’s a freebie so you could give that a try. It will convert from a lot of formats so you could output to one you’re happy with the quality of and then use the above to create a smaller .FLV file for uploading.

Participant

J_o_n Wrote:

Riva FLV Encoder is useful for creating (flash) clips for places like YouTube. It’s a freebie so you could give that a try. It will convert from a lot of formats so you could output to one you’re happy with the quality of and then use the above to create a smaller .FLV file for uploading.

I thought about .FLV, however I’m using a program (Lectora) to post these videos to a server. It won’t let me use .FLV files. I’m only able to work with the following:
      .mov, .avi, .mpg, mpeg, Microsoft (.asf) and RealMedia Streaming Video Formats (.rm), and Windows Media Video (.wmv)

Is the file large with WMV?

…and is the trial version of Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 limited in any way? I don’t use it so I’m wondering if quality is lower than the full version.

Participant

J_o_n Wrote:

Is the file large with WMV?

I’m currently playing around with Premiere’s wmv settings (I just found out about them a little bit ago) and, for a 50 second clip, I’m getting around 1.24 MB, which I believe will be fine for what I’m doing. It’s smaller than the +2 MB wmv files I would get in another program, but I’m trying to get the video quality higher without making the file too much larger.
      Do you know much about Exporting with Adobe Media Encoder?

Sorry, no, I don’t use it. Someone else here will, though, I’m sure…

Participant

J_o_n Wrote:

Sorry, no, I don’t use it. Someone else here will, though, I’m sure…

Well, thank you for your help! And I missed one of your questions earlier, sorry. My knowledge of Premiere is limited to Premiere Pro 2, so I’m not quite sure what all the capabilities are for CS3. So far, I haven’t found too many limitations with the trial version. It could be the reason for the poor quality but it seems normal compared to Pro 2. Hope that answers your question!

Just throwing ideas around really… I know it can be difficult to maintain quality when a small file size is important but I did wonder if the fact that you were using a trial had any bearing.

Good luck with it…

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap