Video Card Question

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Recently purchased an HP Athlon 64 3700+, 1GB ram, 200 GB HD with an ATI Radeon Xpress 200 on board graphics card. I will be editing with Premiere Pro, After Effects 6…possibly Avid Express Pro and Zaxwerks Invigorator ($ depending).

The question…I’ve grown so used to using the dual monitor setup at work that I want to do this at home as well. I want something that will complement my system but not cost an arm and a leg. At the minimun, I know that I need another video card to allow an for dual input and it must be PCI Express.

I’m overwhelmed by the choices out there. Brand, memory, inputs? Will certain card work better with Athlon? with Premiere? Should I buy a cheap dual input card or a pretty good single input card?

Lastly, if I want to hook up a tv to view my timelines is it as simple as plugging it into the s-video output of the card?

A lot of questions, I know.

thanks in advance,

Chris

Participant

I have a Matrox APVe card. It will allow 2 monitors and a TV out. 128mb of RAM. That could have been a bit more.

Participant

I have Nvidia GeForce4 TI 4800 Duel head 128 MB and it works with Adobe Premiere, Edition and Studio9 plus .
      Works well with CRT and LCD screens
      Never had the desire to use s Video out.

Looking at the software set up I’d say I’d have to sacrafice monitor 2 to enable S video out.

Participant

Hey guys, you can use a camera as the s-video out. That’s what I do (even though I have s out on my card). Just plug in with firewire and output the vid from the camera.

Inactive

Is it possible to accomplish the same thing with 2 video cards, i.e. using two monitors without having a dual card? If so, any special settings I should be aware of? (I’m running Win XP Pro)

Thanks!

Participant

Nope. You can have your pc monitor and an NTSC monitor with the s-video but if you want dual monitor support, you need a dual monitor card or 2 cards.

Inactive

Sorry, I’m confused. I can run 2 monitors using 2 video cards?

Participant

That’s right. I’ve never done it though so not sure how to set it up.

Inactive

Well, I guess I could just have made a Google search… Found this link that claims that it’s possible depending on the video card. Not the most extensive guide, but enough of an incentive for me to play around with it.

http://www.g4tv.com/callforhelparchive/features/14382/Dual_Monitors.html

Another question for the pros: My monitors are not the same size. How will this affect my set up? Will it make a difference? I wanted to simply have my preview window in my 2nd monitor (a 14″ LCD) and the rest of the program in my regular 19″ LCD. I’m running Pinnacle 9.4.3, soon upgrading to 10.

Thanks!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs for video — 2021

These are the best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs on the market today, organized by use case. All are worthy of your hard-earned dollar.
homicide-bootstrap