Video Capture – Video Log Creation – options and needs…

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Video Capture – Video Log Creation – options and needs…

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Inactive

I am creating a video log (VLOG) – which consist of me – news/commentary style format.

Currently, I have a Panasonic DV camcorder but it has no audio/mic input so all i have is the local microphone. I am not ready to purchase something different yet.

Because of this, it is vital that I have video capture and editing software that allows me to capture video but to set the audio source to a PC connected microphone. I am capturing the video live – not on tape and then capturing into the PC. Recording the audio separately is not something I am willing to do.

So far I’ve been able to do this with VLogIT and Windows Media Encoder.

Problems: VLOGIT has a 320X280 resolution limit. WME requires me to capture, import into another application for editing and output. It is a bit cludgy/complicated.

I don’t want to jump up to the $300+ software range to start – although I am almost there now but so far have found that Adobe Elements (according to adobe) cannot do it, Magix Movie Edit Pro cannot do it, Pinnacle cannot do it – yada yada.

Other features I need:
      * Picture in picture – I don’t need video in video per se. I have advertisers who want to have me show their product or ad on screen while I am speaking. It must be able to show a graphic and position and size it properly.

* Output to windows media, quicktime, and m4v (ipod) file formats

* Output format to 640×480 (or better)

If absolutely necessary, I will film my base video in WME – I’ve got the quality down – import into my editing software for titles, affects, PIP, and then output. But I would rather not.

I have tried to be specific so that those of you who have used a variety of packages or use one that seems to fit the needs can properly recommend it.

I appreciate any input or ideas.

thanks,

Inactive

Hi. I can post more later, but if I may ask, why woul you want 640 by 480 for anything that is being broadcast on the Internet?Aside from taking a ton of bandwidth (i.e. "money") every time it’s downloaded, it’s also an oddball size. 720 by 480 is the DV NTSC standard for Television.

What I’m saying is that with such a large video, you’re going to need to compress it a LOT so that you won’t have to pay a fortune for hosting, and at that point, you sponsors’ logos will be so blurry, they might not want to keep using the spot.

Sony Vegas’ Pro software is acceptable, and their stripped down consumer model might be capable of doing what you need. But it might be a good idea to determine if you really need it that size or not.

Peace.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap