Video Capture to Laptop

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello Videomakers. I have a Canon ZR100 with a 4-pin dv connection. I am working with a year old laptop w/ 1.6 ghz intel duo core processor. I want to use an external box for capture. just looking for suggestions on a device to purchase. = )

Thanks!

Participant

im not exactly sure what you’re talking about because I just go strait from my deck to computer through firewire, but i think what you’re thinking of is something made by Convergent Design. They make good stuff.

If you’re recording to miniDV, there’s no reason to get one of those boxes though. Firewire is the best way to capture.

Inactive

Just the the fun of it, I went to B&H Photo and looked over their products. They have only two options for use with a laptop for less than $500. Pinnacle has one device (but two bunldle options) that has the 6-pin Firewire 400 port for digital I/O and the usual analog inputs for AD conversions. And Creative Labs has a larger device that uses a 4-pin Firewire 400 port for digital I/O and the same set of analog inputs.

So far as I can tell, the main difference between the devices is the Pinnacle interface will capture and output AVCHD and HDV vide, while the Creative Labs device is only for standard definition video. The Creative Labs bundle includes a 4-pin to 4-pin Firewire cable and Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 for enticements list price of $199. The $120 Pinnacle device includes an unidentified version of their Studio software.

Now for the opinion part of your question. Although I have no actual experience with either device, I already have my preferred NLE on my laptop (and desktop) so I can’t see spending $80 to get Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0. Besides, the Pinnacle device would let me capture HD video in two formats. But from comments on other forums (and reviewing on-line manuals), the Pinnacle Studio NLE uses an interface unique to itself. So, since I already have a fine NLE, I would opt for the less expensive Pinnacle device and not install their NLE. But if I didn’t already have an excellent NLE, I would opt for the Creative Labs bundle with the industry standard interface of Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 (provided I’m not planning on going to HD video in the next two or three years.)

And in closing, I would like to say that so far as reputations go, both manufacturers are equal. It is only in the software that I perceive and difference. That being said, perhaps our other users could add any good or bad experiences they’ve had with either or both products.

Participant

Thanks for the input. Basically my reason for this question, is my laptop doesn’t have a video card. Thus nothing to capture the video with. and it has no room for expansion for an internal video card as far as I can tell…thats why I was looking for an external capture device. = )

Participant

I’m not sure what you mean by a video card to capture with. What you want is a firewire input (just a connection, not video card related).

If your laptop doesn’t already have a firewire input, but it does have a PCMCIA slot, I think you’ll want to look into one of these:
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=firewire+pcmcia&x=0&y=0

Then you can capture straight from the firewire port on the camera to your laptop.

Participant

>>hanks for the input. Basically my reason for this question, is my laptop doesn’t have a video card. Thus nothing to capture the video with. and it has no room for expansion for an internal video card as far as I can tell…thats why I was looking for an external capture device.<<

Video doesn’t have to be captured through a capture card. If it is a PC laptop with a PCMCIA slot there are firewire adaptors that you can get to fit it. Thus allowing you to have capture capability.

Participant

I see. My laptop does have a firewire input already. I just thought that you needed a video card to capture the video. I guess maybe it’s just the software that does that. I really appreciate the input. Time to start editing!

Participant

Reminded me a conversation with 2 of my friends – old TV pros. They kept telling me I would need a good video card to work with video. I still don’t have one.

FAQ Video

Inactive

I have a Sony HDR-FX7. I’d like to set up my Sony laptop to act as a monitor while I am shooting HD video.It doesn’t necessarily need to *capture* the video, but to display it — though capture would be fine. My laptop has Vista home edition,a firewire input, and a copy of Adobe Premier Elements 4 installed. What other software do I need?

Participant

<span class=”postbody”>The game counsel is a good
      place to start with. Some have audio and video outputs which makes
      things easier and more choices on devices to hooh it up to.

Let’s say you have these audio/video outputs.

Common Caputure devices, will have audio/video-INPUTS ( some also
      S-video). Thier output may be USB (USB-2 recommended, fast data output,
      up to 480Mbps)

The other common output is “fire-wire” (IEEE 1394). Normally when Fire
      is mention thier referering to 1394a which has been around for quite a
      few year ( 430Mbps, I think). Thier is “IEEE 1394b” which is really
      fast , double the speed, nice to have but costs more and you can do ok
      with . Regular Fire-wire or USB2 for feeding it to your
      computer/lab-top.

Compusa ( Retail -store) has these devices.

Your lap-top speed (cpu) and memory size is important, you will see the
      requirements on the video-caputure devices on the suggested system
      specs.

</span>DELL m1530 battery DELL m60 battery DELL d800 battery

“I’d like to set up my Sony laptop to act as a monitor while I am
      shooting HD video.It doesn’t necessarily need to *capture* the video,
      but to display it….”

RF,

Without dedicated monitoring software or an onboard video card with an HDMI, S-Video an Express or PCMCIA card slot on your laptop you won’t be able to monitor incoming video.

Dedicated software like Adobe’s On-Location (PC/Mac) and Scopebox (Mac) are excellent choices. Unfortunately, On-Location (formerly DV-Rack) is bundled into CSx so you can’t purchase it separately. Scopebox can be purchased, but only for mac laptops.

Canon, Sony give out software to do basic edits with their video and video capable cameras. The functionality for live monitoring is generally limited to capturing video. There are breakout sets which when connected via firewire or through an Express or PCMCIA slot with or w/o supplied software may allow you to live monitor as well depending on what you get.

If you dig around E-Bay or other places, you may be able to find an old copy of DV-Rack (SD or HD versions) prior to the Adobe takeover. On-Location or an old copy of DV-Rack are your best bets.

Inactive

I’ve always enjoyed capturing videos with my ever dearest lappy! It was actually one of my favorite pastime!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap