Video camera equipment and sound recommendation?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello every one.
      I have a small company which specializes in video editing.

We are now looking at buying a video camera and sound equipment to go with it.

Since we mainly edit, we don’t know that much about cameras and field equipment, and that’s why I thought of asking here.

Our budget is between 4,000-7,000 dollars approx.

We’re looking for a good semipro HD video camera
      +
      Bug mic, or any other good suggestion for recording sound.

An example for the size of the camera i’m talking about is something like this-http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/panasonic-ag-hvx20410-162-p.asp

Thank you very much for your time and help!
      much appreciated.
      Daniel

Participant

We have been successfully using Canon 5D and 7D DSLR cameras however recently purchased two Canon XF100 video cameras which we expect in house by the end of the week. For sound we have been using an assortment of microphone, RODE microphones and ZOOM H4n recorders.

Inactive

Hey Jeff, thanks a lot for the info and quick reply.

I will look into theCanon XF100, looks really interesting. Whatspecificmodel of RODEmicrophonesdo you think would go best with the XF100?

Is there a good ‘bug’microphoneyou know of?

Thanks again for your help!

Daniel

Participant

We currently use both the Rode VideoMic Directional and Rode VideoMic PRO VMP Shotgun and are very pleased with both. As for wireless we are currently using the Azden 330ULT UHF Wireless mic setup – other setups to consider would be Sennheiser, Sony and Audio Technica.

Amigo – I am a Panasonic GH2 still/video shooter – but if I was just starting out in pro video, I would get the Canon XA10. Essentially the same camera as the XF100, but smaller, lighter and less expensive. With a pair ofMaxwell lavaliers for interviews and/or a Rode VideoMic Pro for run and gun, you’ll be set.

Noticed that your original link was for a PAL camera from a UK company?

If you need a PAL version of the XA10, they’re in stock at Amazon UK for 1933.

The US NTSC version is in stock at Amazon US for $2300.

Here are a couple of links you may find interesting. An XA10 field test and acomparison with the XF100.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Inactive

Hi and thankyou again Jeff.

You’re really helping me out here.

I’ve looked at all theequipmentyou suggested and it definitely looks like something will soon purchase.

I have a really newby question- Lets take the Azden330ULT UHF Wireless mic for example.

How do I set it up with my camera? and how can I make sure the camera I buy, supports the microphone I buy? What should I look for?

I know that for theRode VideoMic Directional to work, I need a standard camera shoe and that’s easy. I connect it to the shoe and the cable to the audio/mic input.

But how does wireless work?

Thanks, and sorry for the probably really silly question.

Daniel

Inactive

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the great idea!

I’m actually am more excited about the XF100 because I like the size of it more.

I’m going to shoot mainly indoors and I like the bigger size feel. I also want to make sure it’s full HD and I want to dive into the deep water with the more professional camera.

About the Maxewll lavalies- I see they have a wire? I was thinking more about going wireless for the interviews? with a small wireless bug on the shirt.. am I mistaking?

And about the Rode, I believe that is something I must have for ordinary shots for good sound quality?

So let’s say- The XF100 +Rode VideoMic PRO orRode VideoMic Directional (what’s better) + A good wireless mic + Good tripod (anyrecommendations?) will basically set me up?

Thank you for mentioning the Pal/NTSC issue- I do need a PAL camera.

But does it make a difference if I film in HD quality? I never really understood that issue.

Thanks again for every thing!!

Daniel

Participant

Amigo, as far as the ‘wireless’ lavalier microphones are concerned, the lavalier microphone is plugged into a unit which is ‘installed’ on the person to be recorded and this unittransmits the audio signal to the receiving unit which is wired into the camcorder. The unit that is mentioned in Mediafish’s post connects to the camcorder using either a mini plug or balanced plugs. You just need to make sure that your camcorder has a microphone input. Most of the more expensive ones do. I don’t know if there is a good blutooth type of lavalier to use for this purpose, which would have a smaller transmitter built into the mic(?). In the USA the frequencies on which these types of units work has been changed so that some of the older models aren’t legal to use anymore. This may open an opportunity to people in Europe to purchase (on ebay etc.)older, obsolete(in the USA)units which are still excellent touse. As far as the PAL/NTSC issue- my understanding is that if the videos are to be played on equipment in Europe, you must shoot in PAL (HD or SD). Definitely get yourself a fluid head tripod for video. Manfrotto/Bogen tripods are great and you might be able to pick one up on ebay used for a great savings on full retail. Start and keep shooting.

Hi Amigo – sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I generally agree with everything that vid-e-o-man says. If you get the XF100, you will have a built-in mic, 2 XLR microphone inputs and a 3.5mm stereo mic input, so getting sound into the camera will not be a problem.

In the States, wireless mics are permitted at VHF (shorter range, more interference, less expensive) and UHF frequencies. Pros and prosumers who can afford it get UHF with an on-camera receiver (like this Azden 330ULT with 2 lavalier mics for $700). I have a single $141 Azden VHF wireless lavalier with an on-camera receiver and it works well for my purposes.

I do not know the regulatory situation for VHF/UHF wireless mics in the UK, but this Sony ECM AW3 Bluetooth system seems to be available for about 200, has a range of about 150 feet and has gotten good reviews.

Regarding PAL and NTSC — as vid-e-o-man says, it depends on the delivery mechanism for your work. If you plan to produce content for UK broadcast, domestic DVD or any other form of TV distribution, you should get a PAL camera. For online video or computer media, it really doesn’t matter.

Hope this is helpful and good luck,

Bill

Inactive

Hey vid-e-o-man and Bill. Thank you again for your help.

Ii’ll start with the XF-100. I’ve done someresearchon the camera, and from what I see it surely is a great camera with very good features. But- I really don’t like the size of it. I preffer the XF-300 size. Mind the fact that it looks more professional, the feel you get when using and holding a bigger camera is muchsatisfyingthan when using a small camera the size of your hand.

The thing is the price obviously. 6,500 dollars compared to 3,000 dollars.

It is that much better? twice the price? I simply really love the mid range size of cameras, and the XF100 is on the small side. Even though picture quality and features look great I must admit!

Pal/Ntsc issue- I guess I need Pal. I will be transmitting to TV. But the question is- If I capture and export in HD, why does it matter for TV? Is the a PAL-HD or NTSC-HD?

vid-e-o-man, Does the unit ‘sit’ on the camera? is that the box you usually see at the back of large cameras? Or does it sit on the photographer and connected via cable to the camera? You said it connects to the small Mic input right (looks like a headphone connection)? Just to make sure- other mics are connected to the big round connection right? and that way I can have a wireless connected to the mic input and a shotgun connected to the Shoe and to the bigger round connection? (sorry again if this question soundextremelystupid!!). (I’m not interested in Bluetooth right now).

So big question is- XF-100? Small but good features? Or XF-300? Nice size with all features? OR… Some other camera the size of the XF-300?

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

Participant

Amigo, the receiving unit of the wireless microphone set-up can be attached to the shooter, the back of the camcorder, tripod or some sort of camcorder support system. The last two optionswould increase the appearance and ‘heft’ of a smaller size cam to give you the look and feel that you are looking for with possibly less out of your wallet. You must make sure that the camcorder that you are buying has the ablity to connect to the hard wired mic (shotgun or other)and thereceiver unit of the wireless mic you use. This could be in the form of a 3.5 mm plug(looks like a headphone plug), XLR plugs (larger plugs, one for left, one for right channel, with or without phantom voltage). If the cam has both types of connections, you switch from one input to the other, not both at the same time (this could vary with model of cam). Some cams have built-in controls to adjust the input from your mics. As you go up the price rangs of camcorders you will find more hookups and flexibility in audio input. Definitely hook up a set of headphones to monitor your audio as you shoot!

Inactive

OK!

Thanks to all the help I got here, I planing to buy the following. (let me know what you think before I buy it:)

Azden 310LT- UHF On-Camera Body-Pack Microphone System

Azden SGM-1000 Super-Cardioid Shotgun Microphone

or

Rode VideoMic – Camera Mounted Shotgun Microphone

Canon XF300 Professionalor less probably the canon XF100

Davis & Sanford Provista
      7518 Tripod w/FM18 Head

Transcend Compact Flash 400x
      64GB Memory Card
      (x2)

I’ll be more than greatful to hear what you think, and just make sure every thing should work with each other proprley and that I’m not missing out some thing really important!

Thank you very much again!!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap