Video and moviemaking clubs in the US – Do they exist?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Video and moviemaking clubs in the US – Do they exist?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi, I was thinking about starting up a local video/movie making club. What I have in mind is not exactly like a user group but more like a continuing version of those "48 hour" film competitions that are out there. Or in other words, it would be a group of people who would get together on a regular basis with the goal of making short films. My hope is that such a group would attract not just videographers and tech people but also actors and others who just want to be involved in making a movie. We’d all get together and create a film from scratch in a very improvised way. Someone would edit the film and the group would watch it at a premier, then start the process over again.

I got this idea from noticing that there seem to be local clubs for volleyball, sculpting, jogging and you name it. So I thought this might be something similiar to those activities that would help people make new friends and have some fun.

Now here is my question: I am not a believer of re-inventing the wheel so my first step was to see if anyone else is doing this already so that I can get some ideas on how to start such a group. Upon researching this on the net I saw some high school groups but the only adult groups I found were in the UK. It seemed hard to believe that no one in the US has come up with this idea so I thought I’d post here in the hope that someone can refer me to a link or info that they’ve stumbled across from a US group that is doing what I propose.

If I proceed with this idea I’ll be happy to post details on how the group was started and organized so that it can be duplicated in other cities.

Thanks!

Participant

Hi,

Check the User Groups category in this Forum below.

Films are made by teams. Your recognition and acceptance of this basic fact gives you a head start as you organize your neighborhood’s first filmmaking club. John Waters, famed director from and of Baltimore, found most of his crew and (crazy) cast for his early films from among his immediate neighbors. During this period, he thought editing was when the film in the film magazine ran out or so he sez in an interview. Anyway, he learned his craft back in the working class ‘hood with his friends and today is a major industry director.

There are at least hundreds of formal and informal groups around the nation engaged in making films. They are feeding the Nation’s hundreds of film festivals with thousands of films.

Docs in Progress in DC is a stalwart helping starting and advanced filmmakers in the DC area. Check the website: http://www.docsinprogress.org/

Although, the facilities of a university are used, anyone can participate and be screened at docs in progress; and almost anyone can rent from the university’s vast collection of video equipment.

REGARDS … TOM 8)

Participant

do a search in meetup dot com

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap