Very slow editing – using proxy files, but can’t move smoothly around timeline.

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Very slow editing – using proxy files, but can’t move smoothly around timeline.

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello all,

This is my fist time in these forums. Hope you can help me.

I am editing some HD footage in Premiere Pro CS4. The raw footage is 1080p, but I have replaced all of that with Offline/Proxy files which are highly compressed and only 654×368. The problem I’m having is that even with these small files I can’t scrub around the time line the way I would like. Everytime I love my position in the timeline, I have to wait 10-15 seconds for the top right screen to update.

My machine isn’t great, but was top spec a couple of years ago and there’s loads of ram in there. I’m running Windows XP.

I have tried turning off “Scale to Frame” and “Frame Blend” for the clips, but it doesn’t get any better. Any ideas what I can do to improve things? Is it maybe because it’s still trying to edit in 1080p even though the clips are much lower res? Is there a way to change that while working with the proxys, then change back when finished?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Thanks

Terry

Participant

I don’t use Premiere but I would think that any files that were highly compressed would give you issues. Possibly go with lightly compressed or uncompressed files for editing purposes.

Participant

Whatare the original dimensions and file type ofthe video? If it is 720p then use that to edit. I have found that 1080p on my machine makes it unberable to work with but usually 720p works just fine. Another thing that may be slowing you down is working in 1080p with smaller file sizes, Premiere is filling in space on its own. One last thing, when you are working in the timeline, did you press the enter key, this will render the video for use on the timeline and makes it work better, basically making the files something that PP can work with easier.

Terry, it sounds like the computer is simply unable to do all that processing in real time, and that is not at all unusual, which is why Adobe gave the ability to Sequence > Render Entire Work Area. Once that is done you should be able to move around in the timeline normally. If even after that the computer still lags, then there are other problems such as computer running out of resources (memory) or is just too slow.

Participant

Terry,

Greetings from New Zealand. Had the same problem myself in ‘Ulead Media-Studio 8 ‘Pro’, (of fond memory). Proxies always worked, but were like watching grass grow while wanting to get on with editing.

Proxies are an unfortunate consequence of our household computers not being up-to the job of processing massive streams of data in real-time. There was a time when you could generally ‘wing-it’ in 720px by closing down all non-essential computer services, but with high definition that is plainly impossible. The ‘real-time’ problem is that most timeline-initiated processes remain comparatively unaffected, it is review/preview procedures in real-time which suffer, not necessarily rendering and such, which the computer has the good sense to do ‘in its own time’ usually.

The other problem of which you speak, the time taken to update data moved around in the timeline is a consequence of the way the whole thing works, even a simple shift, or the addition of a few frames to a clip, calls for the proxy to be re-written, otherwise on review, it doesn’t reflect, accurately, the changes you have just made. My advice is to learn to live-with-it if possible, as it papers-over a lot of computer shortcomings. The horrifying alternative, might be several thousand dollars for a new multi-core CPU-based ‘beast’ since there is no point in laying out all of that dosh, without having the ‘bells-and-whistles’ as well. It is good to tee-up ‘proxies’ before entering anything onto the timeline, as that way the time-wasting is ‘spread’, not concentrated, leading to a few seconds for each incoming clip, not a wait of half-an-hour, for a batch of stuff to be processed.

Sympathise with me, I score and create my own symphonic music without the benefit of ‘proxies’ of any kind, just a progressive shut-down of certain instrument groups on ‘overload’. If you wish to know how to make a concert pianist playing ona Steinway Model D, sound like somone plunking way on a ‘whorehouse piano’, that is the way to do it, believe me.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap