Very Frustrated RE: Adding Photo Effects!!! Please Help!

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Very Frustrated RE: Adding Photo Effects!!! Please Help!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I started editing about a year ago, but I still haven’t figured out how to overlay jpeg images within my film.

For instance, I was trying to create a spoof of a surfing home video in which a shark fin was approaching me while I was on my board. I figured out how to add a fin, but the there is an annoying white background around it. Even though I cut out the fin by tracing it the white background appears with it.

I used Microsoft Paint to cut-out the fin and saved it as a jpg, then png, then gif, then tif. Nothing worked. They all brought the white square effect.

Does anyone know how to isolate just the image you want without that crap?

Thanks so much for the help (in advance). I love Videomaker magazine and just discovered the forum here.

Participant

Create the JPEG with a transparent background (either JPG or PNG formats allow this) and use that with on it’s own track using track motion to scale and move it.

Inactive

Okay, wait…hang on. That makes sense. What program would I have to have to create a transparent background? Can Paint do that?

Thanks so much for your help. That’s a huge help so far.

Inactive

carpetlion,

Without getting into extreme details, I think I can at least steer you in the right direction. The best way to accomplish what youre trying to do is to erase the background of the picture from ALL color and leave just the alpha channel. You can use Adobe Photoshop to do this. Import that picture in and use the smart background eraser. In MS Paint, all you did is erase color but you will always have a white background because Paint doesnt support manipulating alpha channels. In simple terms, an alpha channel is technically interpreted as a color of which there is no color. Its kind of like a transparent placeholder. Do a Google search if you want to learn more.

Once you have done that you will need to save that as a new jpeg but make sure have the save settings set right.

Now all you need to do is open your NLE and import that new picture with the embedded alpha channel and drop it on the timeline. All you should see is the object that you didnt erase and the background that you did erase should be transparent thus revealing the next video layer behind the layer your jpeg is sitting on. Because I dont know what NLE program youre using, there might be a chance that it doesnt support alpha channels but youll know soon enough.

It will take a little bit of work but if you follow this path, youll end up with what youre after.

RAM

Inactive

Wonderful!

I’m all thumbs on Photoshop since I downloaded it and don’t have a manual. But I’ll see if I can figure it out based on your descriptions.

p.s. I’m using Magix Movie Edit Pro 10.

Participant

I use Paint Shop Pro version 9 and can do it easily there – I just promote the image to a full layer, then magic wand select the background and hit the delete key.

I know PhotoShop can do this as well as can others.

I don’t know about Paint however.

Inactive

If you know somebody with the Applied-Magic editor, the graphic will auto key cleanly without having to trim around the graphic. You can have any color around the graphic as long as it is different from the logo/graphic. Also, once it’s in the graphic bin, you can use "Magic-Motion" to drop it anywhere, then apply motion control to move it around in the frame, with the ability to zoom it in or out- kind of a 3-D effect.

Inactive

That sounds like a great program. I could make a shark fin swimming towards me rather than moving it frame by frame.

Inactive

I took a photo of my client’s airshow plane, imported it as a graphic, and made it fly loops around the title. Cue the Jaws theme…

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap