Vegas wont capture video, Nero& WinMovMkr work

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Vegas wont capture video, Nero& WinMovMkr work

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello!

I am baffled. Nero & Moviemaker will capture my DV video from the camera no problems. Vegas 6 will not even recognize my camera. I need Vegas to split the scenes to save as individual files.

I went File-Capture video (camera was connected with firewire/set ready to capture etc) & initially didn’t even get the capture dialog box. So then I hit Options-Preferences-Video (tab)& unchecked the "use external video application" box. This then resulted in the dialog box opening.

HOWEVER: the capture dialog box gave me a big blue box with "device not available" In the ‘device’ tab I got 3 choices to choose from (none of which worked): "none", "IEEE1394/MPEG TS device" & "BlackMagic Design Decklink". I would have expected my Panasonic camera to be listed here.

Any suggestions as to what is going on here? I don’t know where else to go to adjust settings.

Do I need some kind of driver for my IEEE connection? Do I need some kind of special codec?

I went & found the Video Capture Release notes in the Vegas program files, & they advise to check the "Enable DV device control" in the Preferences dialog. AGAIN: WHERE IS THIS??? This does not appear ANYWHERE in Options-Preferences in the main program, & also not in the preferences contained in the Capture dialog box.

Where else can I find some Preferences to change? I am using Vegas 6 build 84.

I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks very much!

Inactive

Boy, can I relate to that. The ‘Enable DV Device’ is; open Vegas, go to Options button (on the very top), open ‘preferences’ and wa-la. CAUTION! be very careful to remember anything you change. I still have to use ULEAD (or any avi capture program) and it’s stored. Are you using a ‘media-center’? It appears to be the consensus that the ‘media centers’ just seem to be full of .dll’s and ‘stuff’ that doesn’t seem to like cooperating with Vegas. (Thats not all computers). I changed the buttons and initially made things worse. As long as the ‘Enable DV…’ is on, its suppose to work. For Analog (card considered), uncheck this button.

Good luck NF

Participant

This is so strange. In my version of Vegas, I went (just as you advise) to Options>Preferences & got a whole list of "General" preferences, as well as other tabs e.g. "Video", "Audio", "Audio Device" etc. I went through every single tab (starting with the General tab that you first get when you get into Prefs) & found no box for ENABLE DV DEVICE CONTROL. I went everywhere. Have no idea if this is called something else in this version, but haven’t found any option that looks at all like this one I’m looking for. And I’ve been through them all.

I usaully capture using Ulead VS7 (just for capturing), but am away from home & only have my Vegas program, which I always use for editing.

Cheers!

Inactive

I assume you are using Vegas 6, the last build of that version is 210. If you are using an earlier build, go to the Sony site and download the updated version first to ensure that the problem has been solved in the newer build. Additionally, the preferences that you are looking for are in the capture program within Vegas. Go to the capture program, the to options, preferences and look on the capture tab, enable dv scene selection is the first check box.

John

Participant

Thanks very much for your helpful reply John!

I have since read on another forum somewhere that build 84 (my version) would not open the Vidcap file. My problem exactly- no wonder I didn’t find the preferences you mention! I have only ever edited existing footage on Vegas (captured from other programs), so it has taken a while to know I couldn’t capture. I’m now here without Ulead VS that I usually use to capture.

Do you know if (and where) just the Vidcap exe. file can be downloaded, or does the whole Vegas program have to come with it? (I don’t have broadband-this could be tricky!).

I was going mad with all this logical thinking that was getting me nowhere!

Cheers!

Virginia

Inactive

Virginia, I am afraid you will have to sit through a long download, vidcap is in the full version. get the update, and I think you will have a better time using Vegas.

John

Inactive

I use Camtasia studio for video capturing. It’s very comfortable because it compresses video on-the-fly with quality techsmith codec. And after that I work with result under Vegas.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camcorders for any video shooter — 2021

Professional camcorders are often smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have more controls than other cameras. These are the best on the market today.
homicide-bootstrap