Vegas VS Liquid VS FCP VS Premier

• This topic has 7 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 14 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Does anyone know what the real differences are with these? I am currently using Pinnacle 9 and love it…. as long as I don’t have to create anything longer than about 1-2 minutes. It’s easy to use, but the lock-ups, shut downs, etc drive me CRAZY when doing something longer than that.

My PC has a Pentium 2.8 ghz dual processor, 1 ghz of RAM and a 250ghz hard drive but Pinnacle makes it look like it’s a piece of junk when I’m doing larger stuff.

So I need to go to something else. From what I see FCP is awesome, but I hate for my PC to go to waste if I buy a MAC.

On the flip side, I don’t want to waste a reasonable amount of money on more software for my PC that I will be unhappy with.

What would you do???

Inactive

mward77095 Wrote:

On the flip side, I don’t want to waste a reasonable amount of money on more software for my PC that I will be unhappy with.

What would you do???

"IMO" I would say you have two options: Adobe Premier Pro or Sony Vegas. It kind of depends on what type of work you do.

BTW: My brother had the EXACT same problem with Pinnacle. He also had a really nice PC too. He did somehow figure out what the problem was but I cant remember what he did. Ill see if I can get you a possible answer to why Pinnacle was acting like it did.

I did eventually talk him into Premier Pro.

RAM

Inactive

Yeah, let me know what your brother did if possible.

While I have your attention, I did my first wedding a couple of weeks ago and here is a link to the highlight film that I did. I had to compress it a ton, so there is substantial quality loss, but it’ll give you an idea of where I’m coming from.

Give me some honest feedback!

http://www.concentricdesign.com/sample.wmv

Thanks,
      Mark

Inactive

Mark,

I just got off the phone with him. He said that when he was trying to render and encode to a DVD at the same time, it would take a very long time and thats if it didnt crash first. Sometimes he said he thought that his PC actually froze. Then he tried several workarounds. He eventually discovered that it seemed to have something to do with the DVD menus when trying to make his final DVD.

Heres what he says he did. He said he creates a complete AVI movie to his HD first. Then he imports that into a new project and then just cuts that up and applies his chapters points for creating his DVD. Then he said that worked. He did say that he added another GB of memory too so now he has 2 GB. He also mentioned that hes done with that program because he was too frustrated. He is now using Adobe Premier.

As far as your wedding piece: The content and angles were very nice. I saw two things that you might want to watch out for. Using that fade out to black and back in was a little too much. It almost started to seem like I was blinking too long. Using that technique a few times here and there is fine. For a minute there I thought that this was how you did the whole movie.

The best way (IMO) is to use slow soft fades from clip to clip. Its easier on the eyes and looks very elegant. Or else just cut to the next clip with no transition. The other thing to watch is how long your little individule clips are. (IMO) they were too short. You barely had enough time to digest what was being shown before it changed to the next scene. It was like a race against time. Make these a little longer.

Other than that not bad for your first time. As I always mention, the only way to get good at this is through experience and learning from mistakes.

RAM

Inactive

Thanks for the info. I am having to do exactly what your brother mentioned…. burning small pieces of the movie to AVI and them bringing them back into the project. It really gets crazy when you have a lot of effects and transitions.

Thanks for the input on the video. I have to say that I agree with you on the fade out and in. I was trying to create a seperation of scenes. So when I was going from the bride and groom dancing to the cake scene, I wanted there to be a little seperation. I like the cross fade but think that that can get over used as well. Most of the other transitions are just too hoky for a wedding ceremony in my oppinion.

But, like you said, I’m gonna try some really long cross fades with shots that are panned in different directions and see how that turns out.

I haven’t delivered it to the B and G yet so I might make a few changes.

Thanks again for the input.

Mark

Inactive

I went from Studio 8 to Studio 10 Plus media Edition ( now 10.5 with new patch) and it seem to work better. I’ve done several 2+ hour videos with no problems. I did have a few issues when it was installed on my secondary drive but after moving it to the primary it was resolved.

As far as your video, I think the shorter clips you have work pretty well. You always want the viewer wanting more. The last thing you want is to have the viewer wishing it was over. good job!!

Inactive

Thanks for the kind words. I ordered my upgrade today. I am going from Studio 9 to Liquid 7. I have done a LOT of research and Liquid was just too good to pass up. Complete 3-D editing, color correction, DVD authoring, background rendering, real time playback, HDV editing, adjustable timeline, customizable templates, etc… etc… all in ONE piece of software. No switching back and forth.

Looks great to me. I’ll keep you posted. The upgrade for me was only $299.

Inactive

I’m a long-time Liquid user — and 7 still has some bugs — be sure to get the SP2. The bells and whistles are AMAZING — but I think you should look at bulking up your PC. If you thought Studio 9 sputtered, Liquid will drive you nuts. Your graphics card should be the best one you can afford, and over-do it on your memory/hard drive space (at least double what you already have). I’m using the AVI all-in-wonder x800xt and am fairly happy with it. Fusing your sequences w/effects helps a lot, too. The worst thing about 7 — the DVD authoring. The potential is there, but it doesn’t do all it promises. The best about 7? Everything else. It can do ANYTHING most other pro editing systems can do, but without the need for all the plug ins. Real time rendering, total key frame control, multi-cam editing, the color correction stuff is great…

whew. gotta love it.

Have fun with your new baby!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap