Vegas import & edit – cams and /or shooting modes to avo

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Vegas import & edit – cams and /or shooting modes to avo

• This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 14 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Have Vegas 7, now considering which new camcorder to purchase. There are many choices — too many, in fact — in the midrange >US$1500 segment.

Strictly from a usability/compatibility standpoint, which cameras and/or shich shooting modes should I avoid? It’s one thing to shoot a vid, another to acquire/import the stream, and still another to be able to do greenscreen work and edit easily.

Any thoughts based on hard experience would be appreciated.

Inactive

Seattlecrow,
      Well, the short answer would be: Any camcorder with a firewire connector should work; and having 3 CCDs might help a little with your greenscreen work (since 3 CCDs would give slightly better color than a single CCD… same for 3 CMOS vs 1 CMOS).

But for a better answer, you need to tell us what you’re looking for in a camcorder:
      — Low light sensitivity?
      — Big zoom range for sports or nature work?
      — Shoulder-mount for long hand-held sessions?
      — External mic connector with adjustable volume for recording dialog or sound effects?
      — Small so it’s easy to take where ever you go?
      — Big professional looking, to inspire your actors?
      — Standard definition or high definition?

πŸ™‚ Ken Hull

Inactive

Hmm. Well now:

— Low light sensitivity?

That would be a plus when stopping up to narrow the DOF for filmlike shooting. I understand that CMOS sensors are still lacking in low-light.

— Big zoom range for sports or nature work?

Nothing exceptional needed. Cheapo zooms can distort on wide-angle, as the HDR-FX7 is reported to do.

— Shoulder-mount for long hand-held sessions?

Any non-tripod work would likely need a stabilizer, which complicates the shoulder/balance equation. So, N/A for this point.

— External mic connector with adjustable volume for recording dialog or sound effects?

I think XLR is a must, may feed by external mixer at line levels; ghost powering is not a must. So, scratch Sony HDR-FX1 on the XLRs.

— Small so it’s easy to take where ever you go?
      — Big professional looking, to inspire your actors?

Tee hee X-D. Anything recognizable as pro/inspiring would be 10x more than I could afford in equipment, 10000x more in talent.

— Standard definition or high definition?

Tricky. I have the NLE horsepower (knock, knock) to handle HD.

My major criteria:
      ——————–
      16:9 Native support w/o costly anamorphic optics. I guess the Panasonic AG-DVX100/A/B fails that one.
      2 Channels of 16-bit audio, either 48kHz PCM or some lossless equivalent.
      I’d like to get away from DV tapes, but internal-HDD camcorders are for now found mostly in the midrange consumer market.
      Excellence of color capture, lack of interlacing and compression artifacts to ease greenscreen work.
      24P w/ 1/48 shutter for filmlike capture. Some think 24F is "close enough", others think it’s awful and have vids to "prove" it.
      Clear Scan or SynchroScan or some such for whenever I shoot CRTs — but they’re almost passe now, so this is optional.
      Interchangeable lenses – not necessary, but adding a slight softening filter or external ND (film look again) would be a plus.
      No wasted Firewire bandwidth on live streaming to my NLE (Vegas 7); I have a hard time wading through the mess of capture/encoding/pulldown standards, and need a better understanding of the tradeoffs in shooting, streaming, and editing, say, in 24P (2:3) vs 24P (2:3:3:2). And how does that compare with Sony’s CineFrame 24 (2:3:2:3)?

I’ve researched long and hard and am shortening my list bit by bit. The Canon XH A1 is looking pretty good so far, if I can "live with" 24F shooting.

Thanks for the prompts; helps my focus!

Inactive

Seattlecrow,
      OK, sounds like you’re interested in HDV, preferably with XLR connectors and 24fps progressive scan.
      Take a look at the Sony HVR-V1U. It costs a little more than the Canon XH A1, but I think it has everything you’re looking for.

If that’s getting way out of your budget, then take a look at the Canon HV20. It should be arriving in stores shortly, going for about $1100. It’s a high-end consumer camcorder, so the mic input is not XLR (but you can get adapters). And it has true 24p.

You mentioned that you would prefer to get away from tape. Check out the FireStore harddrive add-ons from Focus Enhancements. And I think Sony makes a harddrive add-on for its HVR-V1U. Of course, if you’ve got the money, you really should take a look at the Panasonic HVX200 camcorder.

Hope this helps, πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Inactive

Looks good generally, Spotted Eagle’s gripe about the power switch notwithstanding.

Now the 4.3 Large price (B&H) raises a bit of perspiration on the brow. And getting dinged for the extras e.g. external HDD all makes work for the working man to do.

Maybe I’ll just take a trip down to Sony Style and get a hands-on feel.

Thanks for the tip.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year β€” 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap