Vegas 8 Platinum, is it worth buying?

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am interested in buying sony vegas 8 Platinum. I think its worth buying but I want to know from some real users. I don’t have enough money for Vegas pro 8.

Questions:

Is there that much of a difference between the two.

On Platinum can you do track Motion.

Is it worth Buying

Please help me.

Inactive

Definitely! Based on the features, and the fact that I have used Vegas Pro 7 and 8, I would say, go for it.

Jeremy

Participant

Thank you so much for the info. Now I am so buying it. Appreciate the help.

Inactive

FWIW I’ve used the “Standard” version of Vegas in both v6 and v8. Take a look at their comparison matrix to see if you need Platnum for a specific feature. I use the “standard” v8 Sony Movie Studio and it does everything I need (including Track Motion and Deform). Remember you can download trial versions too.

Participant

O.K. that really gets me thinking. I wonder what the big difference between the two is. Im still thinken about going for Platinum. But i’ll take a look at their Comparison. Thank you for the info, please stay posted.

Participant

Wow, after looking at that I am probably getting Platinum because of the small differences, But i still may be crazy.

If anyone has any commets, or things to say POST NOW

Participant

If you or anyone in you house is a Student or Teacher, go to academicsuperstore.com – They have discounts for these products.

Also, why not just download the trial version from Sony and see if you like it first?

Participant

Thats some good info. I think i will. I rember Taking a videomakers Course, and somewhere on their website you cam have some amazing software prices. I think. Somewhere on http://www.youthtechinc.com.

Anyway I’ll try the two out and see whats best.

If anyone has any more commets or things to add…… Please do

Inactive

I have Vegas Pro 8, got a legal copy on ebay for under 300. I couldn’t be more pleased with vegas, I was a beginner when i bought vegas but it wasvery easy to learn, within just a feweveningsI already had the hang of it pretty good and was makin videos. Best investment I’v ever made into my videography hobby, next to the Sony HC7.

Participant

Good luck with buying that camera. And some people think vegas is terribly hard to learn. I’ve already seen ALL the video tutoriels online and i could edit a feture film right now if i had it.

Participant

Sony’s free trial system seems to be back up. Try a free trial for 30 days. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials

Inactive

Good luck with buying that camera. And some people think vegas is terribly hard to learn. I’ve already seen ALL the video tutoriels online and i could edit a feture film right now if i had it.

I’v already got the camera, I meant it was the best investment next to when i got the HC7 πŸ™‚

Yeah, I cant imagine vegas being hard to learn for someone, I went from windows movie maker straight to vegas with no problem.

Inactive

I was asked to add my opinion here, so I’ll repeat what I’ve said before.

I’ve used Vegas Home Studio 6.0 for several years. Since I generally shoot three camera, match-cut productions, the limit of 4 video & audio tracks would seem to be a problem. Especially since I use animated lower thirds (with a mask) and titles on top of that. But I have a workflow to make it easy. But the question is would I recommend Vegas Platinum 8.0?

And since I’ve been trying to justify an upgrade for myself, I’d have to say “YES!” If for no other reason, Platinum has the same color correction tools that Vegas Pro uses. Then there’s at least one hundred NewBlu EFX filters and tons more transitions Vegas 6.0 doesn’t have. And I have to mention that Vegas Platinum also supports editing & rendering in HD. And since my clients have been asking about HD (for web sites?) and I’d like to give them what they ask for. (Even if they don’t really need it.)

But now I’m stuck between upgrading to Platinum or going to B & H to purchase the full version of Vegas 8.0 for a touch over $130. There isn’t a hard copy of the manual and it lacks the DVD Architect software, but I can live without a manual and I have an older version of DVD Architect. I just have to budget it into my equipment fund. But I must say that if Vegas Platinum had been available when I got my copy of Vegas Home Studio 6.0, I would have purchased it to start with. It really is a lot more editor for not much more money.

Have fun editing whatever NLE you finally select.

Inactive

I just purchased vegas pro 8 from b&h. It was $469 with a $75 gift card – so – net $394 plus shipping. I’ve been using the fully functional 30 day trial for a couple of weeks now, and I can’t even imagine using something else. I’ve also got the $2400 adobe creative suite, but I’m still climbing that learning curve.(I think I’m gonna need some more rope)

The main reason I decided to go with vegas pro (besides being very comfortable with the platinum version) is that the client I’m currently doing a lot of work for is requesting an odd ball frame size. I can easily set the project settings and render settings to accomplish this.

Still, the number one rule in videography, so I’ve been told, is to ask yourself “do I need this – will it enable me to make better videos, will it enable me to make more money? In my case, that answer is YES!

Try the trial and happy hunting.

Trey

Participant

But now I’m stuck between upgrading to Platinum or going to B & H to purchase the full version of Vegas 8.0 for a touch over $130. There isn’t a hard copy of the manual and it lacks the DVD Architect software, but I can live without a manual and I have an older version of DVD Architect. I just have to budget it into my equipment fund. But I must say that if Vegas Platinum had been available when I got my copy of Vegas Home Studio 6.0, I would have purchased it to start with. It really is a lot more editor for not much more money.

Tony –

Definitely spring for the Vegas 8 Pro – It is well worth the money. I also started out in the Screenblast version of the product (before the Studio version) and have not regretted it once. It has some really great features that will blow you away, plus the unlimited tracks are a big need for me (I have some projects where I’ve used over twenty video tracks alone).

If you need docs, you can download them from Sony’s website as a PDF or just order a copy of Spot’s excellent book.

It comes with DVDA Pro (at least mine did when I upgraded).

Inactive

I think I may have confused folks a bit. B&H sells a disc only version of Vegas 8.0 for $129.95 (plus shipping & handling.)

Here’s the link to them: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/536041-REG/Sony_VP8Q_Vegas_Pro_8_Video.html

Just hope they don’t run out before I get my copy.

Participant

Besidesthe absense of DVD Architect, how is that different from theretail version of Vegas?

Inactive

Simply put, none. This is based on several product reviews on the B&H site.

Although one fellow mentions that he couldn’t use the 5.1 surround unless you purchase DVD Architect. But the way they all described it, it is the same as if you purchased the download version of just Vegas Pro 8.0 from the Sony web store. And all the reviews were raves.

Participant

Just for people to reference, I decided to give a call to B&H today to talk with them about the CD only version of Vegas they list for $130. He said it was a “clone” and that the only differences between this and the retail box were the absence of DVD Architect (you can buy 4.5 on Sony’s website for 40 dollars and get a free upgrade to v5) and the manual is in PDF format.

The specific topic I was concerned about with this CD Vegas (which, btw, he also called OEM) was that the license was the same as retail. He did in fact confirm that it was the exact same license as the retail copy. Hope this helps anyone considering this.

Participant

I thought I’d revive this thread

I made a postiing under the production forums, not realizing there was a more specific place to post about software

Bought the SonyMOvieStuiodio 9.0 Platinum Pro. Waste of money, unless I want to just make family videos with greenscreen. LOL

It would appear I shouldhave bought the Vegas Pro 8.0 instead.

My suggestion would be to FIRST download the demo, and make sure you DL it when you have time to really work with it.

This way, I would have found the issues that I have NOW FOUND. Issues that would have caused me to look away from MovieStudion Platinum Pro.

I saw the link above for Sony Pro at B&H for 130.00. That is great, I got the DVD architect Studioand Sound Forge Audio Studio when I bought Platinum Plus. I haven’t even worked with the latter two programs, just learning the Sony movie Studio has been a pain in the Wazoo.

Currently, I have’nt gotten around to burning DVDS other than just burning a DVD with the standard burner software that came with the burner.

GettingVegas PRo at 130.00 is probably not a bad go for now. If I need the features of DVDPRO..?? I have no idea.

If you know something and can sort out the stew from the gumbo… share it pleas.

Thanks to all for this thread. I have learned from it.

Participant

Hi, this was my first fourm i made 5 months ago. i just ramdomly checked up on it and someone replied. Guess what. i JUST got platinum pro 9! I totally thought it had way more(3d track motion, Masking) Guess not. I am resorting to custom made home brewed plugins. But!! if your willing to pay money i found a site for you…. 5 min. later. AHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I just checked. The amazing plugin was not what i expected!!!
      it was around $700! Anyway hear is what im looking at..

http://www.borisfx.com/store/cart.php?target=category&category_id=6

don’t get me Wrong. its a pretty good software. but if anyone has any idea on how to

a)Get a plugin(s) On 3d track motion or Masking

B)Find an upgrade to pro for Cheap

C)Tell me its is phisicly impossible

Participant

Hi, this was my first fourm i made 5 months ago. i just ramdomly checked up on it and someone replied. Guess what. i JUST got platinum pro 9! I totally thought it had way more(3d track motion, Masking) Guess not. I am resorting to custom made home brewed plugins. But!! if your willing to pay money i found a site for you…. 5 min. later. AHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I just checked. The amazing plugin was not what i expected!!!
      it was around $700! Anyway hear is what im looking at.. http://www.borisfx.com/store/cart.php?target=category&category_id=6 don’t get me Wrong. its a pretty good software. but if anyone has any idea on how to a)Get a plugin(s) On 3d track motion or Masking B)Find an upgrade to pro for Cheap C)Tell me its is phisicly impossible

I plan to order the Vegas Pro 8.0 after the holidays when Iwill have time to work with it. I don’tbuy any software… anymore that isn’t mentioned alot on the web. Seriously, there are guys out therethat will rejoice in your $100 Paypal payment andcare less if you get what you think you’re getting.If a software isn’tavailable throughAmazon, or other big reseller you better be careful. You don’t have tobuyfrom the big reseller, but you stillneed to be careful.

Participant

I guess you are right. It may be too good to be true. Like im also looking at a new hd camcorder. (in the $350’s)I saw a cool buy at

http://www.ontimedigital.com/products.asp?product_id=10351&from_search=10351&gclid=CNiO6aawiZcCFRg6awodT2IZDw

I thought what the heck, the hv20 is almosth the exact same as the 30. But im having 2nd thoughts if its a scam or not.

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best microphone for YouTube β€” 2021

One of the most common mistakes beginning video producers make is to overlook audio. Little do these beginners know that audiences are quicker to stop watching a video because of lousy sound quality than they are for poor video. Sound...
homicide-bootstrap