Various formats to DVD?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I was wondering what software (freeware preferable) I could use to take a mix of files (Mpeg, AVI) of different resolutions, and automatically burn them to DVD to be able to watch on a normal DVD player without having to worry about resolution etc before encoding? Is it possible?

Also, when burning a DVD with Nero, what goes into the video folder and what goes into the audio folder?

Inactive

Chances of there being a Free DVD authoring tool available is unlikely. Creating a DVD that plays in a stand alone DVD player is more than just burning the files into the VIDEO_TS folder. There are info files that tell the player what to do and when to do them. As far as cheap ones, I use Adobe Encore. Some may argue that thats not really cheap but its not expensive considering what you can do with it. Since I have this one, I’m not sure whats out there for less money. The DVD authoring program will create the VIDEO_TS folder when you create you project. The AUDIO_TS folder remains empty. Sorry I’m not much help.

No matter what program you get, I doubt you can burn any combination of formats and resolutions without transcoding them, which the DVD format is MPEG2. If your files are not MPEG2, they MUST be transcoded. A compressed file like MPG, of Divx won’t look good after its transcoded since they are already compressed.

Inactive

May I suggest using some photo montage’ creation software to create your video first. http://www.muvee.com has a free download you can experiment with. It accepts stills, and AVIs I’m not sure what other formats it will recognize. There’s a bunch out there. Muvee is $99, but I’ve seen some for $49.

Once you have your AVI then choose a DVD authoring program; even free downloads you usually have a 30 day trial. That should be a sufficient amount of time to complete your project (hopefully).

ACTION!

MF

Inactive

Aviv:
      "kkmac" already touched on everything so I’m just going to address your last question regarding NERO. I use that all the time.

When you use NERO and you want to burn a DVD you of course would start a DVD project. Look in the left pain from within NERO for the VIDEO DVD icon and click it. There will be other ones but the one you want will have a little piece of film running through it. A directory will pop up showing the DVD disk and below it there will be 2 folder icons automatically listed there for you. One says VIDEO_TS and the other says AUDIO_TS. All you do is navigate to where you have your stored VIDEO_TS folder which should have been created from your DVD authoring program. What you want to do is drag the CONTENTS ONLY of that folder into the VIDEO_TS folder that NERO created for you. It should be a red folder. You don’t want to drag the whole VIDEO_TS folder that you authored into another VIDEO_TS folder because your DVD player won’t work. It is designed to look for one VIDEO_TS folder and then expects to see the necessary IFO, VOB and BUP files in it. If it sees another VIDEO_TS it will produce a disk reading error. The AUDIO_TS folder that NERO created isn’t used so just ignore it.

RAM

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap