Using Vegas 4.0 Need help with balancing soung

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Using Vegas 4.0 Need help with balancing soung

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am new at this and I use mic on one camera, wired up mic on another camera, plus music and the music is nice and even, then I barely hear mic on one camera then the other camera blars sound very loud and the people who I video for have to keep turning the volume up and down the whole time they watch the video I have sound forge 7.0 but I really have no idea how to use it. Help!!!

Inactive

Basically, you just need to watch the levels and check out your waveform. Vegas (of which is my editing software of choice) allows for envelope edits for audio. Do a search in the help about envelope edits. Tune down the load part, tune up the quiet part and make sure none of the volumes make your mixer levels go red. It’s really all about art. Just make sure that you know your max volume in your video, and then base all your sound around it. Raise the quiet portion (but be careful, sometime noise results, of which can be cleaned up in Sound Forge…i think. I know i can in Audition).

Have fun!

Inactive

Use the Normalize utility in Sound Forge not the Volume utility to fix your problem.

Normalization is nothing more than changing the volume levels. The Normalize utility gives you two (2) volume readings Peak and RMS. The RMS level tells you what the basic loudness is; the Peak level tells you how much you can change things.

There are two rules that pertain to volume/normalization NEVER go over 0dB and ALWAYS normalize to the Peak levels. The closer to 0dB you are the better the signal-to-noise ratio is. For example, if you scan levels and get a Peak level of -8.6dB and a -23.4dB for the RMS level, you will know that you have 8.6dB to go before you go over 0dB and clip. Clipping cuts the tops of the spikes of the waveform and makes a loud, nasty pop when you play it back; once you clip you can never successfully rebuild the peaks. Keep in mind that when you normalize to the Peak level the RMS level also adjusts accordingly so if you normalized the Peak to 1dB from 8.6dB (an increase of 7.6dB) , the RMS level would increase from 23.4dB to 15.8dB.

As far as an actual procedure goes… The first thing you should do is run the DC Offset utility. Next step is to normalize (remember to use Peak values) in order to the get the file to the point you can work with it if needed; -6dB is a good level. Normalize each channel separately to insure that both channels are at the same level when editing begins. After you have completed your changes, renormalize both channels again at whatever peak level you want and save. As long as you keep your peak readings static for both channels and at/or below 0.10dB you should be in great shape.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap