Using free stuff

Viewing 51 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey! I have been in these forums for a while. Many peopleare on a budget. I’m wondering something…

I have literally no money for video stuff and am working the software free trial circuit in editing my videos. I’m seriously lucky I have my own camera!

I edited my third short film using the free Sony ACID Xpress and a trial of Sony Vegas Movie Studio Home Edition. I’m now using free Audacity, and possibly a free trial of Adobe Premiere for a music video, my 6th “film”.

I’m wondering if anybody else has done what I’m doing. It may sound strange, but you can edit a whole project on free trial stuff. No money, no waiting for it to arrive. You must plan carefully and work both smart and hard. No dishonest renewing the trial under another name!!

Anybody done it before? Any stories?

Participant

Nope, but it sounds fasinating that it can be done. Do you also get the free downloadable backgrounds from motionloops and places like that?

I have a ton of free backgrounds I’ve downloaded, and some royalty free music. Mostly offers from companies. Motionloops.com has a free loop per week. Footagefirm also offers free stuff.

I never thought about free trials. But i guess if you are willing to learn a new NLE every time you make a video it would work. One could expand on this and enter every contest giving away a camera and maybe get lucky then get a free cam too. LOL

This would be an interesting contest also. You have to produce a film/video with no budget and only free stuff you can download. Hmmm. LOL {I’m seeing a reality TV show in the making! LOL}

Throw in a D.I.Y. aspect and make it whereby you have to build all your extras, like tin can lights and skateboard dollys. Hehehe.

Yep, here’s how the reality TV show would go…

You are moved into a typical American home. You’re given a sctipt, storyboard and 1 week. You must build all your lights, dollys, & crane from stuff found around the house and garage. You must produce, shoot and edit the script/show with only free stuff you can find on the web. At the end of one week you must have your movie uploaded to uTube by 11pm. If you succeed you win a full blown video studio with your choice of cameras, editor/nle, computer and sets. πŸ™‚

Perhaps have your movie “judged” by a panel of famous movie stars and directors for extra points or prizes. LOL

Not bad. πŸ˜€

I like it!

J.

Inactive

sort of like a “MacGyver” and “On The Lot” hybrid…Humm…my cryptozoological friend – your a genius!

Participant

I’m in. Can my robot count as a homebuilt “Assistant”?

Participant

Can he act???

LOL

J

Inactive

have you used Microsoft MovieMaker? Also Expression encoder lets you do a lot of stuff and it is free…Roxio Buzz is a small free editing platform for cutting and editing…Reaper is a good audio mixing program and they don’t bug you after the eval is up…

Participant

Can he act??? LOL J

not really, but he’s pretty steady with a camera….

Participant

WOW! Nice. Yeah, that could be a goodcomedy short film or feature even.

Inactive

Hey chrisColorado,

I actually own my editing software (and all my equipment), but I have been running on trial versions of Microsoft Office for a year and a half! Before I bought my editing software though, I went through all the trial versions: Sony Vegas, Sony Sound Forge, Sony Acid, AdobePremiere, Adobe Audition, Adobe Soundbooth. It is a great way to become familiar with all of the different platforms.

However, moneywise, I am in the same position as you are. I am just finishing my B.A., so money is anything but growing on trees. If you can find some video jobs locally, you can make some money that way (if there’s time!).Then, I generally try to split revenue between savings, new equipment, and church.

I can definitely remember the feeling though: “My trial version’s almost up, what am I going to edit my next film on?!?! I’ll have to go back to Windows Movie Maker!”

Gotta love it!

Jeremy

Participant

Oh yeah. LOL!!!

I discoveredsome 3D animation programs for free. One’s called Anim8or and looks about as good as Audacity is for audio. The other’s from a graphics/web design friend. He used Blender 3D, I think it’s called.

I will be checking into Jahshaka, a free video editing software and possibly trying out Avid Free DV again. I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

I started shooting another movie(my 6th…or is it 7th already?) this morning with my 3 year old brother as the star, who saves the world from aliens. I’m hoping to edit it all on my Premiere trial as well as reedit my 2nd-4th short films for festival release.

Inactive

Chris,

You should write a book on this! then you would have the money to buy anything you want and then….who knows?

We’ll just say we knew you when….

Inactive

I haven’t necessarily jumped from one free trial to another (though the thought has crossed my mind more than once), but my computers run mostly on freeware and open source software and I only use free programs for writing.

Participant

I gotmy laptop, which I’m typing this on from a former secretary and it already had Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint and Publisher, along with Microsoft Photo Editor and Movie Maker. I’ve been able to type scripts, when I need them in Word and the other Microsoft programs are pretty cool. All things considered, I think I’m pretty lucky!

Just made my first model of a hand in Anim8or. I was following a tutorial from the website and must have done something wrong, because the finger nails are on the wrong side of the fingers and they are a wierd shape too. Oh well, it’s different from Lightwave 3D in a couple key ways.I still think it has the same potential Audacity has for audio. So far, it’s all “operator error”.

Thanks to FallingStarFilms for the book idea! Hmm. I just might do it…”Free Software for YourFilmmaking Needs” or something.

And to cdanddvdpublisher: Freeware is great, but if you already know or need to know certain software for jobs, than free trials are the way to go! It’s how I learned Adobe Flash and Photoshop andSony Vegas. I’ll be using After Effects and Premiere here pretty shortly after I figure out Anim8or.

Participant

Finished my third tutorial with Anim8or. I recommend it to anyone!

I also found out about a free edition of Maya from a friend. Go to http://www.autodesk.com/maya-trial and download Maya 8.5 PLE(Personal Learning Edition). The file is 240MB and you have to register for free.

I’ll let you know how it works!

Inactive

Hey! I have been in these forums for a while. Many peopleare on a budget. I’m wondering something….It may sound strange, but you can edit a whole project on free trial stuff. No money, no waiting for it to arrive. You must plan carefully and work both smart and hard. No dishonest renewing the trial under another name!! Anybody done it before? Any stories?

Yep.

Windows Movie Maker (free). Though I recently cracked open my wallet to the tune of $80 for the consumer version of Sony Vegas, mostly for the flexibility it gives me working with multiple audio and video channels (very limited in WMM).

Archive.org. Gobs and gobs of free public domain (or reasonably flexible Creative Commons licensed) audio and video. I get a lot of stock video from the “Prelinger Archives” there.

Footage Firm. They have a rotating cycle of free clips. Once in a while they put one of their stock footage DVD’s on sale for shipping only (about $9). In fact they currently have their “4th of July” themed DVD on that special. Be sure to sign up for their email notifications.

iStockphoto. Register at the site (and sign up for their email list) for monthly free video and photo downloads.

Motionloops. Register and sign up for their email for free monthly animations.

How’s that? πŸ™‚

Participant

Nice! Thanks to Irboch and Mantic59 for all the heads up about free stuff.

I’m working on a book aboutfreeware now and am pondering whether to get it published or make a free pdf e-book and put it here on videomaker as well as my website. Any thoughts?

The book will also have a section on free graphics, audio/music and video websites, like Webweaver, shutterstock, revostock, digital juice, soundsnap, acidplanet and many others. I will mostly post my experiences with each website and freeware and the best way to learn each/the best things to use each for: Anim8or is really good for making quick objects andlogos but not very good for making figures/people.

Maya PLE is amazing. Not only is it fairly easy to use, but bundeled with it are some quicktime movie/tutorials that show all the basic stuff. It’s awesome!!

Inactive

….I’m working on a book aboutfreeware now and am pondering whether to get it published or make a free pdf e-book and put it here on videomaker as well as my website. Any thoughts? ….I will mostly post my experiences with each website and freeware and the best way to learn each/the best things to use each for: Anim8or is really good for making quick objects andlogos but not very good for making figures/people. Maya PLE is amazing…..

If you charge for a book about freeware I predict a negative response. πŸ™‚ I’d keep it a free PDF about the resources and your experiences, then follow-up with a second resource (book, PDF, video) on how to use those resources and charge for *that*.

Participant

Ha, ha! Good point! Kinda obvious, huh?

So, here are the freeware so far. If you can think of any others, please post em. I don’t know them all.

Movie Maker, Avid Free DV, iMovie, Jahshaka, Virtual Dub, Jump Cut

Audacity, Reaper, ACID Xpress, Roxio Buzz

Anim8or, Blender 3D, Maya PLE

Microsoft Photo Editor, ImageReady(?), iPhoto(?), Photoshop E(?I mean the online version)

Participant

ChrisColorado,

I’vedone exactly what you’vedone!Hopping from trialto trial duringdifferent shortsand stuff I’vedone. I findit sortof makesitfun becauseit actually gives you a deadline likeareal job!Okay, okay, that’s notnecessarily fun,butsometimes working underpressure yieldssomegoodresults… well,interestingresultsatleast!

I’d alsosay thatanothergood trial is DVD Architect. Thisis a DVDauthoring programandIfound itreallyeasyto use and quitepowerful. Itgives you a 30day free trial.Andthegood partis it onlycosts 50 bucks (Ithink 40if you optfordigital download),so it’spretty cheap.Thiscomesbundled with Sony Vegasif youbuy that.

Another free great program that I didn’tsee listedhere was Celtx.It’s freeware script writing softwarethatcanalsohelp you plan your storyboard, organizeactors, organize ashooting schedule, and do abunch morethatIcan’t evenremember right now.ThethingI like best aboutit, isitformats your script for you (and doesit based onseveral presets).I would absolutely addthisto your list, Chris (andcheck itoutif youhaven’t already… a ton easier than MS Word). πŸ™‚

Iknow I’veusedsome other trialand freeware software,but of courseIcan’tthink ofit right now, so I’ll postbacklater whenI use it againandremember. πŸ˜›

Inactive

Another free great program that I didn’tsee listedhere was Celtx.It’s freeware script writing softwarethatcanalsohelp you plan your storyboard, organizeactors, organize ashooting schedule, and do abunch morethatIcan’t evenremember right now.ThethingI like best aboutit, isitformats your script for you (and doesit based onseveral presets).I would absolutely addthisto your list, Chris (andcheck itoutif youhaven’t already… a ton easier than MS Word). πŸ™‚

Absolutely… Love Celtx.

Participant

gimp.

quartz composer

Participant

Check Ulead VideoStudio. It’s coming with the free trial.

As for free substitute to Microsoft Office, it’s available at http://www.openoffice.org fully functioning.

Lots of free stuff is coming out of open source community. Ubuntu 8.04 (Linux based OS) is coming with free office package and image editor. I have installed Kino, free video editing software, but it crashed every time I tried to open AVI file. Did not have much time to play with it, but if anyone has positive experience with Kino, please share your thoughts.

FAQ Video

Participant

Thanks for the celtx info! I’m not big on writing scripts at all anymore, and was focusing more on postproduction needs, but this works. Thanks for the input! openoffice also sounds interesting.

Hey D0n! are gimp and quartz composer software?

For everyone’s info, I started writing the chapter on VirtualDub two nights ago. VirtualDub was started by a guy in college so he could rip Anime cartoons. All it does is import an AVIor Mpeg-1 clip, trimit and export as AVI. Itcan’t even export Mpeg-1. Might be useful in rare situations, but not a normal video editor, per se.

Participant

ChrisColorado,

Take a lookat VirtualDub Mod.Iused it very breifly.Idon’tknow howitdiffers from VirtualDub, but I’m pretty sureit adds morefeatures.IfIremember correctly youcan exportas more formatsatleast.

Participant

Yeah, VirtualDub Mod has more features. Thanks! Will add it to the VirtualDub chapter. Also Celtx and openoffice get their own chapters in the new script writing section.

Also, if anyone’s ever used any of these can you tell me what you thought of it? I’ll add it to the book.

Participant

http://gimp.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz_Composer

http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/QuartzComposer_WWDC_QCTV/index.html

I use a custom quartz composer patch to overlay a logo, (and rss news feed from my website) over the video feed from my robots dv cam to the display panel on the robot.

Participant

entertaining thread…I just wanted to add a lil tip that I learned while I wasracing the trial circuit.

On the last day of the trial I was rushing to get my project completed before the 12am deadline. I was expecting the software to just shutdown if I was still using it as the dealine passed, but it kept running as long as I didn’t close the program or shutdown my computer. I was able to get six extra days out of the trial untill my computer crashed. When it started back up…trial was over. I suppose I wouldn’t recommend continually running your computer 24/7 but perhaps you could just throw it in standby, just to getthose few extra days…if needed.

does this method disqualify me from the race?

Participant

That’s what I call “dishonest” personally. I would disqualify you if this was a contest. The point is, with a little planning, youmight have got it done before it ran out. Maybe I’m harsh, but i always try to be honest and got laughed at in college because I wouldn’t(and still don’t) renew trials under another name or get my software under the table from friends.

Anyway, thanks D0n.

More info on freeware. Jahshaka sounds amazing!!! The website claims that it’s Video, Audio, Compositing and 3D Animation software all in one. And it’s free. I find that hard to believe, but will look into it and let you know.

Blender is amazing also.

Inactive

I’ve heard good things about Jahshaka; if you try it out, I’d love to hear what you think

Participant

Jahshaka is a free version of After Effects for the most part. The only problem with it is there’s barely any tutorials or documentation out there. It has so many buttons in it’s dark gray interface, that it’s intimidating. I’ve tried messing around with it, but it just shuts down after a little. And talk about slow! Butit may be my “clicker happy” mouse finger. I’ll slow down and see what happens. If I can get it to work, it’ll be great!!

Blender, on the other hand, is one slick program! All I’ve done so far is practice resizing the interface and changing windows, clicking buttons, moving around the 3D View port(so little time!)and it’s way cool! Blender has a really good tutorials book in wikipedia which is kept up and running by Blender users everywhere. It’s great!

I’m thinking of starting a freeware blog and posting chapters from the book which is getting pretty good sizedby now. Haven’t done a blog before, so that’ll be interesting…

Participant

Chris,

Are you usingthe2.0 version of Jahshaka,ordid you somehow geta previewof3.0?I just downloaded version 2.0to playaround with, buthaven’tyet.There’sa lotoftalk online that 3.0 will bea lot better… Iguess I’ll justhaveto playaround with2.0 and findout whenthenew version comesout.

Here’sanother question aboutallthis free stuff… whatare the licenserestrictions? As brought upin adifferent thread, wefoundout that academic licenses aren’t thesameasretail licenses…dothese freeware apps allow usto usethecontent we create withthem incommercialendeavours?I’ll start reading up onsomeofthese licenses,but Iinvite otherstohelpout. πŸ™‚

Participant

I’m using Jashaka 2.0.Know of any good tutorials outside of the website?

Most of this software isunder GNU public license. There are others under similar licenses. I read these to make sure, and so far haven’t found any problems. ONE EXCEPTION: Maya PLE specifically says “Not for Commercial Use” on it’s welcome screen. The point is of course that you buy the real Maya.

You raise a GOOD POINT. I will put info about this in the book as well.

Participant

I now have a blog here on videomaker for the freeware book I’m writing. It’s called Free Stuff: Making Movies for Nothing. Check it out! http://videomaker.com/community/blogs/freeware/

Inactive

I used Lightwave shortly after it came out to do several animations for a title sequence of a series I produced for a local government agency. I tried Blender and found it next to useless. That’s because I couldn’t locate any decent 3D objects to use. On the other hand, at http://www.daz3d.com, they profit by selling high quality 3D objects (mainly for use in creating 2d stills for publication.) So they give away a full function 3d animation program (now with a lip-synch function) with a ton of objects to build an environment for the figures they’ve provided. Additionally, they give away something new every couple of weeks. The interface is easy to use and more or less intuitive. (I’ve moved up to Carrara 3D Express, now around $60.)

Audacity is also a top notch audio editor. I use it to remove noise and equalizing when I need it. I actually use it as my audio editor in Vegas. While it is kinda limited on the “render to” settings, I really only use WAV’s when editing, so no problem.

Celtx is really cool because in addition to using standard script formats, it can also generate prop lists, schedule field shoots & automatically get a cast & crew list then give estimates for expenses. I don’t use it much since very little of what I do is scripted. But Celtx ROCKS.

Of course open office totally mirrors Microsoft Office in all functions, including reading all the formats. So you can write in a word processor, calculate in spreadsheets, create power-point presentations (great for sales presentations) and create databases. It is the best supported freeware I’ve used and the learning curve is pretty much non-existent.

And I’ll close with a program I found on the mother lode of freeware Download.com (used to be C-Net.) It is called MPEG Streamclip 1.1 and while it doesn’t do a lot, it does it really well. I use it to trim movies I shoot with my MP4 web sharing camera. I like it because it is even easier to use than any NLE I own. But the real strength comes in converting video files into MP4’s. It has the option to use a two-pass compression for great quality with amazing compression. I used it to convert a 706 MB AVI file into a 32.4 MB MP4.

Excellent forum postings by the way.

Participant

where there is a will, there is a way.

I average about one docuemntary a month and have for quite some time. I scout the locations, play line producer in setting up the shoot, play director in orchestrating, play camera dude and host at the same time (usually while racing a car) and then I edit it myself, animate my own grafix, do my own sound design, ect. I even distribute it myself.

you can check it out here:

http://ModdinArt.com

I made the site in flash, learning as I went. I am picthing the show myself, with no agent. It’s the one man band approach/perspective thats it’s selling point.

Never wait on a budget to create. You wish ya created more later in life.

Participant

Hey Chris, are there any totally free editors out there? Do you use them? Any good?

J.

Participant

Jay, yes there are totally free, good solid editor out there. Keep an eye on my blog and as the chapters for the book appear, read them. I’m still finding software. There’s a lot of great sites! I will use all of them, unless they’re only for Mac, because I don’t owna Mac.

Grinner, you are basically the same as me, though I don’t get a movie done a month, except at work and they’re wildly varied genres, mostly corporate/promo.

Thanks everybody for your input. this book is going to be FANTASTIC!!!!

Participant

Chris,

To get backto you, I was playingaround with Jashaka 2.0 andcouldn’tfigureitout either!Ihad trouble just importing avideo or image soI think yougot even furtherthan Idid! Accordingtothe website,they promise lotsoftutorialstousing version 3.0,so hopefullythatwill be helpful. πŸ˜›

I’vegotan idea for yourbook, Chris.Youcoulddo a chapter about free and/or open source operating systemslike various formsof linux.Ubuntuisprettyeasytolearn for someoneusedto windows.Iwouldthink a mac-onlyperson mighthavea littlebit moreof alearning curve, but Icould be wrong.Thecoolthing aboutthis chapter would be that youcouldshow thatit’spossibleto makea free editing machinethat cando just about everything you’ll want (atleastfor themajority ofthe low-budget videomakersoutthere). You could discuss things like Ubuntu and Fedora as the more windows-like systems, and then things like freeBSD and Gentoo as some of the more experienced systems.

Participant

Chris, another program thatI justfoundout about, if youdon’tknow aboutit already,isCinelerra. It’s a free and open source program I think mainly designed for Linux, but they might have a Windows or Mac build… I haven’t looked into it enough yet.

Here is thewikipediapage aboutit:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinelerra

I planto playaroundwith it a littlelater andsee what it’slike.

Participant

I added Cinelerra to the list. Thanks!

So far, I’ve reviewed Windows Movie Maker, Avid Free DV, Audacity, Anim8or, Microsoft Photo Editor, media-convert.com(I know, not a freeware, but it’s awesome!) and Riva FLV Encoder.

I spend a good amount of my freetime learning Blender, so that chapter will be truly awesome!

Go to Blog: http://www.videomaker.com/blogs/freeware/

Participant

OK, new chapters are VirtualDub, the promised Avidemux and Blender and also GIMP. I will be taking a break to finish my 7th short film – The Earthling. Enjoy!Blender should keep you busy.

Check it out: http://videomaker.com/community/blogs/freeware/– this link actually works, unlike the one above.

Participant

Hi Chris

Your freestuff is excellent!

You mentioned that you are using a notebook to edit on…whats the RAM size & dows it have an upgraded video card?

I am having difficulties with my computer(notebook) and editing software. It has 504RAM…Apparently I can’t upgrade my video card..

Anyway, it seems you are having much success so I thought I would check it out with you.

Cheers

MJ

Participant

Ha! Good one. LOL

I have 256MB of RAM and am having trouble teaching myself Adobe Premiere Pro. All that freeware uses is miniscule compared to pro stuff.I fit two freeware programs on my 512 MB flash drive to make room on my laptop. I don’t want to mess with video cards, but looks like I’ll have to teach myself something else.

Thanks for the compliment. Enjoy the new blog chapters!

So, yes. I’m the ultimate cheapskate perhaps – NO video card, Flash Media Camera, using internet freeware a lot, on a laptop, 256 MB of RAM. go figure.

Participant

I am so jealous. I am so busy I barely have time to get in front of my computer these days, let alone have time to take my camera out and take some footage. I really appreciate all the interesting suggestions.

dvd duplication

Participant

I’m new tovideo creation. Therefore, you could say I know zip about zip.

I’ve foundjust like with most allprojects, finding competent information is difficult.

When you arenew to a technology that is for sure.

Forums are always a good starting point, not reviews, becauseposters will tell thewhole truth as they see it.

Sure you have to weed through the complaints made, etc.That is why we have a brain to sort out the chaff from the wheat.

I’m going tovisit alot of the sites mentioned in this thread.

I do havemoney to buy stuff, but you can still throw money away on software and not get what you need.

I think this is a good informative thread, thanks to all participants.

Participant

Hey domineaux!

To help new readers find what they need quickly in my blog/book, I just added a feature in the Table of Contents where certain chapters are highlighted whether they are the best in their section or whether they are good for beginners who know “zip about zip”.

Good luck and may you find the best freeware for you.

Chris

Inactive

Ibasicallyonly use trials. I will buy myfavoritewhen I run out of trials.

Participant

ChrisColorado blog/book idea is good.

I plan to check out the site.

DL and running trial/eval versions of complicated softwares is avery futileeffort. I’ve spent days working and learning a program and found one thing it did not have that I needed. All that work fornothing, not counting the times the software is buggy. Buggy goes with shareware software. Be prepared for issuses using shareware and betas.

IMO, a good blog with commentscan build a complete review of a software. That is, if commentors are actually making constructive responsesand not just I’d buy it or nokinda stuff.

There will always be what I call company ferrets that will get onto the boards and hipe their software or bad mouth someone elses. I don’t trust reviews on seller sites, becausemostreviews are not honest. If I have not choice I will read through the reviews, but still I’m careful. Afterall, the seller wants people tobuy the reviewed stuff… there is always a link to buyit now. LOL

You mentioned Maya PLE youDL and are working with now. I think that is an other point that should be made. If a software istoo expensive for you to begin with, why spend a lot oftime learning it. Afterall,even if you love it you can’t affordit.

You might also think about mentioning the retail price on each reviewed item. Guys like me… If the price is more than Iwant to pay I won’t even waste my time thinking on it.

Kudos to BarefootMedia for your linke to theDaz3D.

I have no current 3d or animator software, which I’ve got to look into. A free copy of the Daz3D was more than I would have expected to find.Thanks for that. Also your comment about the software you are using that was reasonably priced. I can sure do that as well.

Again,…good thread and thanks to all

Participant

You mentioned Maya PLE youDL and are working with now. I think that is an other point that should be made. If a software istoo expensive for you to begin with, why spend a lot oftime learning it. Afterall,even if you love it you can’t affordit.

You should meet my friendRuss who thinks the exact opposite! He told my about PLE and said to quit learning freeware since the places who give you jobs want you to know the pro stuff. You are bothright.Either way can be argued and I’m open to both options.

You might also think about mentioning the retail price on each reviewed item. Guys like me… If the price is more than Iwant to pay I won’t even waste my time thinking on it.

It’s freeware, hence it’s free -so far. There are some programs in my book that have special prices/deals or are shareware and I will mention these in their respective chapters. Maya PLE for instance is NOT for commercial use. Domineuax, you can think about the programs that have chapters so far. All of them are FREE!

I have no current 3d or animator software, which I’ve got to look into.

ThatI can help you with. Blender has a chapter now and i’ll be using it again in a few minutes. There is a wiki (Blender 3D: Noob to Pro) I recommend for learning it and the chapter has a link to it. The program itself is extremely useful and I like it a lot, even though it is Dutch and some things, like Importing don’t quite mean the same thing. Also no cut, copy and paste, but the program is still amazing and is used by many pro 3d people and companies.

This is the truth as I see it.

Participant

ChrisColorado

I’m going to dropping on your blog frequently. I’ve not gotten to the software place yet. I just received my HDR-SR12 today, and the tripod is still in transit.

Right now I’m trying to get the stuff together and then I startthe big learning curve. LOL

Are you saying the MAYA PLE is free, no timebomb or anything to cut you off?

Maya is supposed to be the dog that hunts for what it does, which would make it a great choice to learn if you don’t have to buyit.

Participant

Hello everyone!

Not sure who still reads my blog, but I’m overhauling the whole thing and added several new chapters, made some drastic updates, changed some things about the chapter formats and will keep going until the whole thing is shipshape and amazingly useful.

I got the Video, Audio and 3D sections going really good and will be finishing up the blog ASAP so that you can read everything and hopefully benefit from my knowledge, as small as it is.

If you have any problems about how the blog looks or trouble navigating around, please comment on the blog itself or in this post.

Thanks and Enjoy! chris of Colorado

Chris, your book title could be: “Edit & Produce Videos for FREE!” with the subtitle; “Everything You Need to Know about Free & Trial Production Software, and All You Have to Do is Buy this BOOK!”

There are a LOT of self-publishing and print-to-order web sites, even Amazon (I think) is in the act, where you write your book, format it, then submit, advertise/market, and people go to these sites, purchase a book that is produced “on demand” and you get some income from it.

Actually, you have a successful idea here (probably obvious to you and the others who have read and responded here) and you should market it. You don’t have to SCREW anybody on pricing, just publish and sell your research and efforts here for some sensible amount, and pick up a little income to pursue your video dreams. Nothing wrong with that, you did the work dude.

A late, great advertising pro once said: “Never give away something you can sell!” I agree with that in principle, and I, not deceased, or GREAT, say: “If You Market, You Will Make It!” That, by the way, is the marketing mantra at my blog side on diversified video production, marketing and making money. The site URL is posted enough places around here, I will not hijack your thread.

Also, and you know this, your compilation of sites, resources, information, comments and reviews would make such a book an excellent renewable product due to the constant updates and revised editions. You have the potential for a perpetual non-fiction BEST SELLER! I am as serious as a heart attack Chris.

Viewing 51 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap