Using Compact Flash cards & Sony HVR-Z7E/Z7P

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have a Sony HVR-Z7P and recentky bought Transcend cards to use instead of tapes

The cards need to be formatted. I don’t know how to.

Can someone help please?

Patrick

Participant

You can put it in camcorder and it will probably ask you if you wanna format right then. If not, the setting should be close.

Also, beware that some videocameras might erace the card as soon as you put it in.

Participant

I have the HVR-Z7U which I think is the same cam only NTSC. On the memory recording unit press Menu, then select Delete, then select Format. But beware as everything will be gone.

Participant

Travis, XTR-91 thanks for your help, tried it and it got formatted how about to get it to record to the card? I know I am sounding really dumb but I tried selecting on recording format HDV 1080i. I have pressed the cam link button but when I press record on the camera its blinking telling me there is not tape as if I have commanded it to record to tape.

Participant

It should still record to the card. It will always flash no tape when there is no tape. I have not found a way to kill that but the red record light should come on the memory unit.

Participant

I don’t have time to go back through my threads, but there is a way to stop the tape from flashing and it is a combination of menu settings from both the camera and the MRC1. I think it is something like “Ext. only” in the camera menu? Search my threads and you will find a TON of information on it.

BTW I use the Z5U so look for that,but it works the same way as the Z7 with the MRC1 recording unit.

Participant

FOUND IT!

“doublehamm – you need to make sure the Z5 “EXT REC CTRL” menu (under “IN/OUT REC”) is set to “EXT ONLY”. And both the Z5 and the MRC1 need to be set to SYNCHRONOUS, not FOLLOW. (The MRC1’s menu for this is under MENU then SETTING then CAMLINK SELECT). This will allow you to activate recording on the MRC1 with both the REC START/STOP triggers, and without needing a tape in the camera.”

Participant

Same settings work on the Z7U, Thanks doublehamm!

When I use mine it records wonderfully (using DV mode), but when I import a file from compact flash into Avid Liquid the audio and video are not in sync—–even in the source monitor! If I open the file with Windows Media it’s perfectly in sync, so I’m guessing Liquid is doing something? It’s too bad because I love the Z7U and the idea of recording on Compact Flash. Anyone have any ideas?

Inactive

Headstock what speed card are you using????

Ed

Participant

Hi,

There is a free Sony utility for capturing MRC recorded CF cards to your hard drive and it works for both HDV and DV. It might fix the sound sync problem. This worked well for me although it slows things down a bit. As far as card speed goes, Sony recommends 133x or higher, I have found that 133x is the absolute slowest card that has a chance of working. If your card is a little slow, it won’t work. I have been using Transcend 400x cards and have had no problems even when they are hot after recording for an hour or so.

I know this is REALLY late, but I use 133x cards.  I figured out that the issue has more to do with Avid Liquid and the computer than the card.  I also used the ingesting software that came with the Sony MRC-1, and it works better.

I'm on Adobe Premiere now, and my new computer is quite fast.

Thanks, Jaimie!

I came to the exact same conclusion, and am looking at faster cards.  I also began using the MRC utility, and it helps.  Thanks again!

Sorry for the late response.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap