Uploading DV to computer

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

My new computer does not have a firewire port, I have a Sony camcorder DCR-HC32. Is there a way to upload and edit my DV tapes from my camcorder? Can I use a firewire to USB cable? I have a USB 2.0 port, will that be just as good?

Participant

no…USB doesn’t support the capture of tape because USB transfer data in bursts rather than a steady stream. You need to buy an expansion card so you can put firewire ports on your computer.

Participant

What type of computer are you using?

I have an extrafirewire card I don’t use if you want it.

Participant

I have a Compaq CQ5110F. Is it difficult to do add a firewire card? How do I know if my computer will support that? Thank you!

Participant

Going by the information on http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-DCR-HC32-Camcorder-Review.htm# If you have the base station for that camera you have USB connectivity.

Going by http://www.desktopreview.com/default.asp?newsID=743&Review=HP+Compaq+CQ5110f there is room for a FIREWIRE card unless you have purchased other options – because I see only one open bus on the stock m/b image.

This is one of those times when it would be really handy to have a good relationship with a local computer shop. Firewire cards are inexpensive ($20 or so?), so that’s a good thing.

Participant

Is it difficult to do add a firewire card?”

you’d have to open up the computer and slide the card into the matching PCI slot….It’s not really hard, but it might be a bit uncomfortable if you’ve never done it before.

Participant

Thank you everyone, I’ll see what I can do.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best tripods for video — 2021

Carefully comparing and reviewing system specs will ultimately help you find the best tripod to fit your needs and your budget.
homicide-bootstrap