Uploading DV to computer

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

My new computer does not have a firewire port, I have a Sony camcorder DCR-HC32. Is there a way to upload and edit my DV tapes from my camcorder? Can I use a firewire to USB cable? I have a USB 2.0 port, will that be just as good?

Participant

no…USB doesn’t support the capture of tape because USB transfer data in bursts rather than a steady stream. You need to buy an expansion card so you can put firewire ports on your computer.

Participant

What type of computer are you using?

I have an extrafirewire card I don’t use if you want it.

Participant

I have a Compaq CQ5110F. Is it difficult to do add a firewire card? How do I know if my computer will support that? Thank you!

Participant

Going by the information on http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-DCR-HC32-Camcorder-Review.htm# If you have the base station for that camera you have USB connectivity.

Going by http://www.desktopreview.com/default.asp?newsID=743&Review=HP+Compaq+CQ5110f there is room for a FIREWIRE card unless you have purchased other options – because I see only one open bus on the stock m/b image.

This is one of those times when it would be really handy to have a good relationship with a local computer shop. Firewire cards are inexpensive ($20 or so?), so that’s a good thing.

Participant

Is it difficult to do add a firewire card?”

you’d have to open up the computer and slide the card into the matching PCI slot….It’s not really hard, but it might be a bit uncomfortable if you’ve never done it before.

Participant

Thank you everyone, I’ll see what I can do.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap