Upgrading our video system (fairly advanced questions)

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Miscellaneous Techniques Upgrading our video system (fairly advanced questions)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

If you read this and it is unclear at any point (other than just not understanding the general jargon), please let me know and I’ll try to clarify!

I have been heavily involved in video editing and computer animation for about 12 years, but I am now taking over the Live Video area as well, and am in need of some advice. We are a church, and we are looking at upgrading our current video system. Right now we have a Cannon XL-1S that pulls double duty as our filming camera during the week and our posted camera for live video on Sunday mornings. Currently we have about a 16 foot by 12 foot screen that we are projecting our live video on to, though usually it’s just notes and our announcements. We don’t do live video throughout the services, just for special things like skits.

Now we are going to change to doing Imag on our center screen (showing the speaker while he’s speaking). We are looking to stay with standard definition at this point and we are purchasing 2 Sony BRC-300 robotic cameras, along with a VT editing system for both our live and post production needs. The BRC-300s are standard definition 3-CCD cameras that come standard with S-Video and composite output. Another card can be purchased to allow it to do RGB output, which can obviously be changed into standard component connectors.

Our computer signals for our notes (kinda like power point) will be, I think they call it SXGA (800×600) into a switcher that supports component out. So the signal from the computer will be component (RGB), and the signal from the switcher to the projector will be component RGBHV.

Follow so far?

A basic look at how our layout will be is like this.

So question #1. Since our cameras (both BRC-300 and XL-1s) are standard def, would it be worth it to go component cabling from teh BRC-300 into the breakout box. Would I notice much difference than if I ran S-Video out of them?

Question #2. The XL-1s only supports composite and S-Video out. If I went component out on the BRC-300s, would there be a noticable difference between the image quality of them and the XL-1s running on S-Video?

There is also the possibility that we will get another camera that will be mounted full time (allowing the XL-1s to be our designated film camera). If this happens it has to have component out and we will for sure go component through the entire system.

Question #3. What are the best cameras out there for the money that have 3CCDs and component video out. (connections don’t matter, RGB, RGBHV, standard Y’PbPr we’ll get the right connections made).

Question #4. On a seperate note, where is the best place to use a signal amplifier. At the beginning of a run, or in the middle. We have 150ft to go with some of our cables, and I’m assuming we’ll need to boost the signal. Anybody have good suggestions on which products to use or techniques to do this?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions later but this should get me started. Hopefully some of you out there will know what I’m talking about with all this and have some great suggestions.

Again, if you read this and it is unclear at any point, please let me know and I’ll try to clarify! Thanks.

-Matt Hoecker

Participant

Hi-Blazer,

I cant start to comprehend your technical needs. (I recently declined to be a consultant/video system designer for a Church re a simple setup because of my paucity of technical knowhow on the specifics; not to mention didnt help that they were unwilling to render to Caesar what was Caesars! }:-@ }:-) }:-@ ) Anyway, in the unlikely event you are not familiar with Edirol and their products, check out edirol.com. Their major marketing niche seems to be midrange video systems for Church organizations (e.g., state of the art video mixers encompassing full range of todays input needs, with complete setups (I would estimate) in the $10K to $100K range). In the Portland OR area, I was once blown off by one of their dealers when they realized I was representing myself and not a Church. That dealer is no longer part of their network. Subsequently, I was visited at my Portland palace west by an Edirol salesperson, who did a good job of demo-ing their basic video editing system. For a major system setup question or potential client they may be willing/able to send out a consultant from their Seattle area HQ for a day trip to Eugene.

REGARDS TOM 8)

Participant

to get rgb from a computer you are going to need to get a scan converter since scan rates are different between computers and cameras

#1 you are not going to get any noticeable difference with component cabling

#2 as i stated earlier. since the cameras are all standard definition there isnt going to be a noticeable difference between s-video and component. the only reason that i would run component cabling is to make it easier to upgrade to hi-def.

#3 i would go with th canon xh g1

#4 the best place to put a signal amplifier is in the middle of the run. you may also need to use a SIMA color corrector at the endo of this run

hope that helps,
      Stonewall

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap