Upgrade From PC1000 to VX2100

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I currently shoot fitness videos using a Sony PC1000 and display them on YouTube. Since these videos are shot inside of a gym,light is minimal and I’m looking to upgrade to a Sony VX2100 because of all the great reviews I have read about its low light performance.With my PC1000I have to brighten up allmy videos about 35%in Premiere.I have founda used onefor$1200 from a local private party andwould like to get some feedback from VX2100 owners.Will upgrading make a noticeable difference? Thanks.

Rob
      Participant

I use a PD170, which is basically the VX2100, but with XLR connections. I have no major complaints and would suggest either of the two cameras to anyone.

Anonymous
      Inactive

What do you think about low light? Will it make a huge difference from the PC1000?

Coreece
      Participant

>>>”What do you think about low light? Will it make a huge difference from the PC1000?”

If the VX 2100 does not make ahuge difference, I would be extremelydissapointed and shocked…

From what I can tell, the PC-1000 only has1/6″ CCD’ and has a minimum illumination of 7 lux. (the higher the lux the worse.)

These 2 specs alone suggest that the VX2100 will have a much better performance in low light since it has a much bigger 1/3″ CCD and a minimum illumination at1 lux.

The PC1000 also seems very substandard as it recods in mpeg format at 320×240…is that correcet?….if so, the VX2100 will blow it away even further.

The VX2100 also has gain control, meaning that you’ll be able increase the brightness from the camera instead of increasing it in premiere if needed. typically, if there is just a enough light, you can gain up to about 6-8db with minimal quality loss(graininess)….IMO,the sony VX200, VX2100, PD150 and PD170 are the best cameras for low light situations and have the best gain processing…

I’m very confident that you’ll be pleased with it’s performance, but I would still suggest renting or borrowing one just to make sure you’ll be happy with it…(just make sure you white balance, iris up and use the gain properly before making your final decision.

Anonymous
      Inactive

“The PC1000 also seems very substandard as it recods in mpeg format at 320×240…is that correcet?….if so, the VX2100 will blow it away even further.”

The mpeg recording is only used with the Sony memory card. The normal recording is regular recording (720X480) in either 4×3 or 16×9 format. Everything about the camera is great except for the low light performace which is primarily the reason why I’m thinking about the upgrade. The compact size is amazing and can be taken anywhere.

Can you explan more about the “white balance, iris up, and gain properly”? I will be test shooting with the VX2100 next week and have decided to shoot some video inside a Starbucks with the VX2100 and then my PC1000 to compare the difference in low light.

Coreece
      Participant

>>>The normal recording is regular recording (720X480)

Ok, that makes more sense especially from a 3-CCD camera…I just couldn’t find that info on the 3 websites I checked.

>>>Can you explan more about the white balance, iris up, and gain properly?

Yes….

White Balancing

White balancing basically tells the camera what white looks like under the current lighting conditions of your location. Typically, this is just to have accurate color, but it can also help improve the look of the actual exposure as well.

There is automatic (preset) and manual white balancing.

The presets may be sufficient for you for now…There is and indoor white balance and an outdoor white balance preset and you don’t really have to do anything other than just select which preset to use.

If you are not satisfied with the color, or the white in your video has a heavy bluish or orangish tint, you may want to manually white balance.

If you manually white balance, you typically want to do it every time the lighting changes significantly.

The user manual will illustrate how to white balance on pages 50-51:

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DCRVX2100.pdf

Iris UP

Basically this just means opening the iris all the way to make sure you are getting maximum light in low light situations. Again, there is automatic iris and manual iris control…It may be best to use manual iris control so that you can make sure that the iris is completely open and stays open during low light recording. This may also be refered to as exposure….see page 45 in the user manual I linked to above.

Gain

Gain is also covered in the exposure section on page 45. Typically, you don’t want to use gain unless absolutely necessary because it artificially brightens up the picture and this can cause various degrees of graininess depending on the situation. However sony cameras do a great jobat utilizing gain and the quality loss is minimal under minimal but decent lighting conditions, especially if you keep the gain under 8db.

Basically the Iris control and gain are adjusted from the same adjustment knob or scroller. Its starts at a closed irisand goes to an open iris.

If you keep scrolling past the open iris, the gain will kick in and you will see the 0.0db start to increase in value up to 18.0db.

Additional notes

Make sure that the outdoor ND filters are off as these limit the light for outdoor use. (page 47)

Using a higher shutter speed will also limit the light. (page 46)

I would review all manual adjustments on pages 47-53.

Also, testing the camera at starbucks may work, but it may be better to find a place that resembles the gym you record at and has similar lighting….I only say this because it will give you a better idea of how the camera performs. Starbucks can be a little tricky because it is usuallya dim/darker atmosphere with bright windows which poses a challenge…just ask any camera operator….but maybe the starbucks you go to is different.

Finally, it may be helpful if you have somebody to show you how to operate the camera properly so that it gets a fair shake….it really is a good camera….if you’re in Michigan, maybe I could help you.

Best Regards,

Corey

Anonymous
      Inactive

Corey – thanks so much for your help! I’m going to test out the VX2100 this week and will use your tips when shooting with it.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Corey – I ended up purchasing the used VX2100 about a week ago and have tested it alongside my PC1000. The difference in low lightperformace is amazing. The VX2100 is far superior and I’m happy with the purchase since this was my main concern.

A quick question – I just purchased a lavalier mic (Audio-Technica ATR-35S). Many of the reviews noted its a mono mic and an adapter is needed for full stereo sound(mono to stereo adapter) . I tested the mic and it worked great. I then plugged headphonesinto the camera and played back the tape to check the audio. I was able to hear full stereo sound inboth earpieces (left/right). If it was a mono mic, wouldnt it only playback sound in1 earpiece (left orright channel)?Not sure if I needed to pickup the adapter. Thanks.

Coreece
      Participant

Basically:

Stereo is two different sounds eminating from two seperate channels.

Mono is the same soundeminating from two seperate channels…or one channel.

For a future reference, it is ok to record mono on two channels if you’re only using one mic, but if you are using2 mics,It may be in your best interestto make sure that each mic is only recording to it’s own channel (mic 1 – left channel / mic 2 – right channel)and then mix it how you want in post…(ie. copy left to right and vice versa as well as adding other microphone recordings from other cameras or sourcesto the channels you want in order to create the desired stereophic.)

Also, you’ll need an adapter to use 2 mics…this adapter will allow you to control the whichmic gets recorded to which cahnnel….

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Consumer Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN