Underwater housings…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I don’t really have the money to dump on a $1,100 + underwater housing for my VX2100, and I know I won’t be using it too often, anyway. I was planning on an urban rafting trip (there is a large stream that flows under most of the city I live in) and I wanted to document the whole thing without risking my equipment. Is there some trick with a plastic bag or something that I might be able to use? If not, I just won’t bring the camera.
      Thanks in advance!

-Chris

Inactive

Well….

Ziploc baggies go a wonder for my loose meat sandwich leftovers, but I really wouldn’t suggest them for anything like this, even i they’ll preserve your camera’s flavor. πŸ˜€

But seriously, I would be VERY nervous about trusting any bag or tupperware to protect my cameras in something like this.

I would say that you should try to find someone locally who may already have a waterproof kit, and affer to rent it from them.

If you had to build something, you could go to a home improvement store and pick up some plexiglass, foam, and silicone caulk, and build an enclosure. I can’t imagine a flawproof way to seal the lid on said box, let alone holding it or controlling the camera at all, but at least it has the potential to keep the camera dry.

However, this is a thought, and in no way intended to be an actual suggestion. If you build such a contraption and ruin your camera, I’m not responsible.

Inactive

Yeah… I was just going to get a rain cover for it, but if my luck kicks in and the camera makes it into the water at some point, I’m out a couple bucks. I’ve got a cheaper TRV740 that I would feel better about just wrapping in plastic, but I’d rather have my better camera…
      Hank, I’ll look aound for that $300 housing… I may not use it too often, but that price can’t be beat with a stick. I’ll let you know if I find it (…and if I ever go on this little adventure, I’ll be sure to cut it together into something cool for you guys to see).
      -Chris

Inactive

So far it looks like the least expensive one goes for about $470 at:
      http://www.weatherornotphoto.com/ewvviho1.html

Participant

If anyone is still looking for an affordable Camera housing I would recommend Epic Camera Housings (http://www.EpicCam.com) They are lightweight easy to use and work with a wide range of video cameras.

Full disclosure I work over at Epic.

-Holsum

Participant

A good way of testing waterproof housings is toilet paper. Fill the thing with toilet paper first. The slightest bit of moisture just destroys it and is very obvious to see.

Participant

Do you really want to lug the VX2100 on a rafting trip? I gave my wife an Olympus digital camera (also does some video) that is waterproof to 30 feet (actually works underwater with sound) and drop proof from 5 feet – You can see what it does here – http://birdcat.com/video/pool0608.html

I find it works fine for family stuff (not professional level as it only captures 640 X 480) so I guess it would depend on what you’re trying to film.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap