Uber Noob looking for camera advise

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Hey all,

Well this is my first time here and possibly my first time writing for info on a video subject considering I mainly work in audio, but I’ll pretty soon be needing to look into the video avenue.

I’m looking to buy a camera and while I’ve searched a little and found some mixed results, I thought I’d just ask. I know the basics of this question has been beat around the bush like 100 times, so forgive me if I ask something already mentioned.

Ok I’m trying to stay within a $3000 – $3500 range (though if it’s like $200 more, I might consider it). The camera I’m looking for must be able to record in 24p, 1080i (1080p preferred), has good or even great stabilizers, pretty good white balance and some great shooting at night, and hopefully a medium that’s easy to find and transfer from (Like SD cards). I prefer not to go with DV disks or tapes as I’ve found that with disks, it’s very common to get noise in the initial audio recording. Ohh and XLR input options, or external audio input options either optical or XLR. Would be great if I can implement a shotgun mic on it as well.

What I’ve been looking at was the:

1. Sony HVR-Z5U
      2. Sony HDR-AX20000
      3. Panasonic AG-HMC150

Though I’ve found a bit more interest in those Sony’s than the Panasonic after seeing some test footage. Forgive me if these are old too. I’m not a big video head (yet) so I’m not even sure if these cameras are even current ^_^

What was recommended to me by a friend and a couple others was some kind of DSLR like the Canon 5D MKII (or just wait for the MKIII). They claim it will give me a lot more control especially since it’s light and the lens is interchangeable, but what I’ve read around here is that it’s a lot more complex especially for beginner shooters like me. Even though I may not be doing a lot of the shooting myself, I’d still like to know how to use my equipment lol.

Despite the quality and the connivence of these DSLR cameras like the MKII, I’m also not too pleased about the 15min record time to protect the camera from over heat. This makes it inconvenient if I need to record a band show. What was suggested then was to use two or more cameras instead which makes sense, but then goes back to the initial problem of me being a beginner.

In general, I’m using the camera to record band shows (hence why I need low lighting support) possibly some novice indie music videos, and interviews for EPK’s. Please help with this dilemma. Any camera suggestion or otherwise is welcomed :). Please dont break my wallet though lol.

Participant

Take a look at the Canon XF100, 105 or 305. We have been using the XF100 now for almost a month and love them. The only draw back is I have found only AVID (high send suite) and Adobe Production Pro Suite can read the MXF files produced with out converting to another format. We also use Canon 7D’s but have had to buy a great deal of supporting gear to use the 7D’s for video work. However, with that said the 7D’s do a good job too.

For sure at least take a look at the Canon XF100 or 105.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap