TV video format

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m planning on producing a fishing show to air in the spring of 2013. I’m planning on filming the spring and summer of 2012. I’ll be doing all my research and homework to make this happen between now and next spring. The first thing I’m doing is looking into what video camera to get. That probably has some to do with what video format do most of the networks/cable stations prefer?

Participant

“That probably has some to do with what video format do most of the networks/cable stations prefer?”

No. Networks compress the hell out of video. You want to be working with the least compressed video you can afford so it holds up in post production, then deliver what the network wants. You have to contact them for that info.

So, what you are shooting determines what you’re going to shoot with. Not necessarily the delivery specs

Participant

I went to a conference at the beginning of the year to discuss just this topic and only a few stations shoot with SD anymore, they are all migrating to HD.

I would recommend using an HD camera but keep all the action in the safe zone for SD, that way no matter what format the station uses it can still be used.

Participant

This is the reply I received from the cable station: We accept HD format on HDcam or HDV. Also programs in 16:9 with all graphics 4:3 title safe on beta sp or beta sx format.

A couple of questions:

Im shopping for a video camera. Am I correct to assume what ever format camera I get, I would then copy it to a HDV tape?

What is meant by: Also programs in 16:9 with all graphics 4:3 title safe on beta sp or beta sx format.

Thanks for the help. I know I have a lot to learn in the next 6 months! Glad I found this site!<span id=”_marker”></span>

What they mean is that whatever graphics, titles, etc. are included in a program submitted on any of their accepted formats should only be in the area of the screen that would be visible “safely” on a 4:3 (or SD, non-widescreen) area of the screen. Imagine a green or red box or outline about 20 percent smaller (from the edges of your standard television screen) where you’d put titles/graphics so that they would FIT all televisions and not be clipped off because somebody isn’t viewing with a wide-screen unit.

It is somewhat antiquated for any broadcast or narrowcast station to limit acceptance of outside production to ONLY HDV or HDcam, and especially the Beta SP tape, but over time I’ve had to go to a local shop that would “bump over” my master to Beta because that’s the way it is. Been a long time though, and most recently I’ve bicycled production to local cable channels using MiniDV, and even occasionally DVD, but admittedly not HD.

I’m surprised that station only dealt with those two formats. Most outfits even after converting over to HD still take at least Mini-dv tape shot in HD format. I’ve also delivered a digital master on a harddrive and flash media (CF and SD cards.)

‘Bumping’ as Earl described is a viable choice since it’s impractical to go out and purchase a Beta-SP/SX or HDcam recorder if you’re not shooting in those formats. Tough part is finding an outfit that keeps those formats on hand and won’t charge your first-born to get conversions done.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap