TV Icons… your thoughts

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I just saw a press release come across the wire about Entertainment Weekly and TV Land doing a 50 Greatest TV Icons show. So, my mind started to wander and now I wondering who’s going to make the top 50 (according to EW and TV Land, of course). My 1st place hunch is Oprah, followed by a close second, Mark Summers (of Double Dare). Then, maybe Andy Samberg…

Needless to say, the icons of my generation [EDIT: my generation, oops, I mean my scary mind] may not be what they’re after. But I’m curious to know who you’re thinking of. Whether it’s in your narrow or wide perspective on TV personalities, please share…

Mark

Participant

Andy Griffith, Lucille Ball, Johnny Carson, Bob Barker, Pat Sajak, Matt Groening, Jackie Gleason, Simon Cowell, Regis Philbin, The Brady Bunch (yes, all of them X-D ), Jerry Seinfeld, Tim Allen, Jay Leno, and… that’s all I can muster up right now. πŸ˜€

Inactive

Ed Sullivan, Walter Cronkite, Carroll O’Connor, Carol Burnett, Bill Cosby, James Garner, Edward R. Murrow, George Burns & Gracie Allen, Dinah Shore, Bob Newhart, Peter Falk, Farrah, Phil Donahue, Howard Cosell, Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, The Simpsons, Sid Caeser, Don Knotts, Tom Selleck, David Letterman, Barbara Eden, Larry Hagman. Guess it really depends on how far back they want to go and what they want to consider iconic.

Inactive

TV Land does something similar every few years and I don’t think that Oprah would be number one on their list. I think Andy Griffith, Johnny Carson, Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz and Bob Barker will be up near the top. They tend to prefer things (sometimes they do shows, sometimes people, etc.) influential to others on TV, not influential to viewers.

Inactive

Matt Groening

Participant

Am I the only one who sees Bob Hope as one of those? Is my little world really that different from everyone else?

Inactive

Bob Hope? Yeah, he did have a lot of TV specials. And now that I think about it, he used to have a weekly show. So going back to those black and white TV days…. Bob Hope, Jack Benny, Rod Serling (writer and host of The Twilight Zone. He was the 1st icon I thought of), Milton Berle, Allen Funt(smile, you’re on Candid Camera), Ed Sullivan(and his Really Big Shew), Ernie Kovacks(he did really original visual stuff), Carol Burnet (and her troupe: Tim Conway Harvey Corman, etc.), Jack Webb(Dragnet), Harry Morgan (Dragnet, Mash), James Arness (from Gunsmoke), Richard Boone (from Have Gun Will Travel), Dan Blocker (Hoss from Bonanza). OK, some of these are from the color TV era, but Dang, they sure had some talent back then! OhMyGosh, I almost forgot Alfred Hitchcock!!!

And someone mentioned Bob Barker(remember Truth or Consequenes? And Buella the Buzzer?). Could do a very large list just of early game show icons. Gary Moore, Dorothy Killgallon, Bill Cullen. I’ve gotta stop… this post is getting way longer than I expected.
    πŸ˜€
    Ken Hull

Participant

What about Alex Trebek? I can’t imagine he’s too high on the list, but I think he’ll still make the list.

Participant

Oh yeah, can’t forget Dick Clark. We’d all be stuck in the year 1971 without him.

And speaking of Bob Barker…Drew Carey!

• Viewing 8 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap