trying to salvage canon gl1 in the digital age

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

my canon GL1 has been sitting lonely on a shelf for a few years now. i never liked having to do video capture in order to get the video into my pc which is probably one of the reasons i gave up on video as a hobby – that is until digital camcorders that could record to sdhc came on the scene. since then, i’ve been rekindling my hobby since it is so each to get video into the pc now. but, i still wish i could find some use for my GL1 without breaking the bank. does anyone know if any of these things are possible and how to do it

1 – connect the GL1 directly to a pc to record directly to disk rather than to a miniDV tape. i would be willing to use the camera in a fixedstudio setting if this is possible

2 – is there a cheap miniDV player that can convert a tape to sdhc or a harddrive

3 – i know there is a cool device that can connect to the DV port and record directly to a built in hard drive, but this is rather expensive – way more than whati would be willing to spend. http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=QSDV-HDV-6&Category_Code=DV&Product_Count=0

any suggestions would be appreciated.

I use a couple of older 3-chip units to record directly to hard drive. It really depends on the setup and connections available to you between your computer, DVD recorder or standalone black box editor. I’m probably not in a high enough pay grade to know all the connection options for every unit out there, but usually if your computer and camera both have firewire, and your computer is video friendly you’d be good to go.

I have an equally antique Casablanca dedicated black box editing system that still works and will take the firewire feed off my GL2, or the S-video feed off my Panasonic AG-3, or even my XL1 units, and record directly to hard drive. There are solutions provided you know your equipment and have the connectivity. Beyond that, I’ve considered acquiring either a direct-to-portable-hard-drive or direct to SDHC recorder unit, but as you say they are more expensive alternatives. A CHEAP price, however, when you consider being able to repurpose a once-equally expensive camcorder that generates a great signal but is losing it somewhat in the tape transport system, etc.

Participant

If $550 won’t break the bank, you might want to check the Datavideo DN-60, recently reviewed here in VM. It mounts on your camera and has a firewire port. It records to CF cards, with a 8GB card yielding about 30 minutes of video. The only quibble the reviewer seemed to find was the firewire port being close enough to the mount to cause issues with the cable. I’m considering one for my trusty XL2 when the tape drive dies.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camcorders for any video shooter — 2021

Professional camcorders are often smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have more controls than other cameras. These are the best on the market today.
homicide-bootstrap