Trying to pick out Editing Software

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m trying to find some good editing software… I’ve been using just Windows Movie Maker but I need something with more options. I’ve found that I need the following:

– Easy to Use.

– Multiple Sound tracks (So I can have Music, Narration, sound effects, etc. at the same time…)

– Picture in Picture (Kind of like a newscast… Where you have your main video and a smaller box with a secondary video also playing)

– Green Screen

– AVCHD compatible (I’m using a Sony HDR-SR11 and that seems to be the format it uses…)

– High Definition editting

– Ability too publish in multiple ways (DVD, Blu-Ray, Web, Youtube, Film Festival formats, etc.)

– Special Effects Compatible (I’m looking at eventuallygetting Particle Illusion or something similar.)

– Reasonable price. (I’ve seen software range in price from free to $2500… I have a feeling I don’t need something that’s $2500 to fit my needs…)

– Anything else that a filmmaker might need in an editting program that I don’t know I need yet. (I’m pretty new to this so if there’s something that would be helpful that i need in Editting software that I didn’t mention, please include that.)

Does anyone know of any good software that fits these requirements?

Thanks in advance.

– G

Participant

I also have the SR11 and use Sony Vegas Pro 8.

You can get it for around $400 and it works just fine (depending on your hardware) ith the AVCHD (MTS) files natively (I just copy then via USB from the camera to the PC).

It is a full featured an NLE as you’ll find out there and better than most for certain things (like audio). It’s not perfect but I find it to match well with my way of thinking.

If money is truly an object, they also have a $100 version (Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition) that will work with AVCHD files (biggest limitation is only four audio and four video tracks as opposed to unlimited of both in Pro).

Participant

YES! A big vote for Sony Vegas, It’s a lot like Windows Movie Maker for one thing, You won’t be too confused. Vegas is also cheaper and can beat all the other big software at audio hands down, in my opinion (I’ve used the big guys and still LOVE Vegas).

I’m not sure Vegas can do green screen, but it can do everything else you mentioned, and if you REALLY NEED green screen capabilities, you can look at Adobe Premiere, After Effects or Apple Final Cut Pro, all three are more expensive.

Participant

Awesome. 🙂 Thanks, guys… I looked at the program some and it seems to have what I need. I appreciate the input. 🙂

Participant

Ok… one more question… I was looking at the system requirements for Sony Vegas and the minimum is 800 mHz processing power… but it says that if you’re using AVCHD they recommend 2.8 GHz… I only have 1.8 GHz… Should I be worried that I don’t have enough power to run this with AVCHD?

Participant

Just to mention I have Vegas Pro 8 and you can do green screen with it I do a lot of green screen work, and vegas has no problem with it. I have tried Adobe and Final cut my choice Vegas all the way. I think you should be alright with 1.8 GHz Vegas will use memory though

Participant

Vegas can do green screen? AWESOME! I knew it rocked.

Caedmon, software companies recommend extra computer (disk space, RAM, etc.) because your footage itself will take up a lot of room. This is especially true with HD, including AVCHD. If you have multiple editing projects going on, your computer will have a hard time keeping up. I’d be at least a little worried. This is one problem I have with HD, and I why I stick with SD as much as possible.

Participant

Ok… one more question… I was looking at the system requirements for Sony Vegas and the minimum is 800 mHz processing power… but it says that if you’re using AVCHD they recommend 2.8 GHz… I only have 1.8 GHz… Should I be worried that I don’t have enough power to run this with AVCHD?

You might have a problem with the AVCHD (very compressed – needs lots of power to view and edit with in real time – My 2GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM does not keep up). You may want to look at Upshift from VASST – It converts AVCHD to lightly compressed, high quality MPEG-2, which most NLE’s (including Vegas) can handle easily.

• Viewing 7 reply threads

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
    homicide-bootstrap