Trying to Make the Move to HD…HELP??

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Trying to Make the Move to HD…HELP??

• This topic has 10 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 12 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Due to the increasing demand for HD we decided to purchase Sony’s Z1U. We have been happy with the quality and we use Vegas Platinum for editing.

Question is…what is the optimal step by step process for rendering this video and then creating the DVD through DVD Architect that will get me the best result on a Sony DVD + R?

I understand Blu ray would be the way to go but many of our clients have not converted to blue ray players yet so how can I deliver HD to them since I have an HD camera and an HD editor?

Participant

To make a DVD with HD footage, the video has to be converted to SD.

You can do this 2 ways:

1 – Convert the footage to SD upon capture into your computer then work as you normally would with an SD project.

2 – Capture the footage as HD and edit an HD project….when the project is finished output anSD file for DVD Architect.

DVD players cannot output HD resolution.

If your clients want to watch HD content, it is their responsibilty to figure out how they want to view it.

If they want toview HDfrom either aBlu-Ray Disc or a DVD, they’ll have to get a Blu-ray player.

The only other feasible option is to playthe HD file from a computer to an HD television/monitor. Best formats for this are WMV, H.264, Mp4, Flv.

Inactive

Thanks for the quick response…so when I “render as” in movie studio…what file format would create the best picture when I create the DVD through DVD architect?

Participant

I will just assume that you are working with the HDV mpeg2 transport stream files (.m2t files)

If this is the case, I would set your “render as” settings to the following:

File name : “name of file”.m2t

Save as type : Main Concept Mpeg-2

Temlate : HDV 1080-60i

You could then import that edited HDV m2tfile directly into Architect and it will convert the file tostandard definition very nicely. Just make sure your DVD Architect project properties are set to NTSC widescreen (720×480) andmake sure the “optimize” propertiesin the “make DVD” section are also set to NTSC widescreen.

Participant

what’s the point in recording in HD if you are just going to convert it down to SD?

What’s wrong with just recording it in SD if your just going to down convert it anyway?

Or am I missing something?

Participant

>>>”what’s the point in recording in HD if you are just going to convert it down to SD?

What’s wrong with just recording it in SD if your just going to down convert it anyway?

Or am I missing something?”

The original post inquired about creating an SD DVD from HD footage and how to Deliver HD to a client.

Shooting in HD will allow you to create both an SD DVDfor those that are still in the stone age and an HD file of your choice for those that have aclearerperspective of reality.

In addition,converting SD from HD will typically giveyou better looking footage than just shooting in SD natively.

I also think it is good to have an HD master for future use either for the client or for your demo reels.

I suppose someone would shoot in SD if it was just a short low quality internet video.

NOW…back to HDV editing…

In my previous reply, I just gave an answer for editing the HDV Mpg2 transport stream (.m2t files)

It is much easiernowadays to edit .m2t files, however this is still notalways recommended.

The HDV structure is not the most efficient for editing and there could be some unnecessary loss of quality when redering an output file, especially if your project is loaded with effects, color correction, etc.

The best way to edit HD footage isby usingan intermediary codec.

I like using the cineform HD codec.

Cineform makes several different programs for various platforms, but the basic conversion software that is compatible with most editing programs is Cineform’s “Neo Scene”

It costs about $129 and a free trial can be requested and they’ll send you a link to the download.

http://www.cineform.com/products/NeoScene.htm

cineform, like most intermediary codec/software will allow you to convert to the Cinefom HD avi format while you capture instead of capturing as an HDV .m2t file.

It will also let you convert any native HD format like mt2 andAVCHDinto a cineform HD avi file.

Once you edit those files you will than output a “video for windows”avi file and select the Cinform HD codec in the custom settings tab inside Vegas.

DVD architect will accept the Cineform HD avi file and it will output a standard DVD file.

If you are still a little confused, let me know….I will clarify.

Participant

>>>”what’s the point in recording in HD if you are just going to convert it down to SD?

Or am I missing something?”

The original post inquired about creating an SD DVD from HD footage and how to Deliver HD to a client.

Shooting in HD will allow you to create both an SD DVDfor those that are still in the stone age and an HD file of your choice for those that have aclearerperspective of reality.

In addition,converting SD from HD will typically giveyou better looking footage than just shooting in SD natively.

I also think it is good to have an HD master for future use either for the client or for your demo reels.

I suppose someone would shoot in SD if it was just a short low quality internet video.

NOW…back to HDV editing…

In my previous reply, I just gave an answer for editing the HDV Mpg2 transport stream (.m2t files)

It is much easiernowadays to edit .m2t files, however this is still notalways recommended.

The HDV structure is not the most efficient for editing and there could be some unnecessary loss of quality when redering an output file, especially if your project is loaded with effects, color correction, etc.

The best way to edit HD footage isby usingan intermediary codec.

I like using the cineform HD codec.

Cineform makes several different programs for various platforms, but the basic conversion software that is compatible with most editing programs is Cineform’s “Neo Scene”

It costs about $129 and a free trial can be requested and they’ll send you a link to the download.

http://www.cineform.com/products/NeoScene.htm

cineform, like most intermediary codec/software will allow you to convert to the Cinefom HD avi format while you capture instead of capturing as an HDV .m2t file.

It will also let you convert any native HD format like mt2 andAVCHDinto a cineform HD avi file if you already have the files captured to your hard drive.

Once you edit those files you will than output a “video for windows”avi file and select the Cinform HD codec in the custom settings tab inside Vegas.

DVD architect will accept the Cineform HD avi file and it will output a standard DVD file.

If you are still a little confused, let me know….I will clarify.

Inactive

Thanks for the info…tried this over the weekend and it came out great…definitely more clear than native SD…it was in widescreen format, is there any way to get this full screen format?

Inactive

Also second question I was hoping you could help with….As it is now when I capture from the z1u it breaks down the capture into clips when I stopped and started recording. Is there a setting to adjust to capture the entire tape into one clip?

Participant

>>>is there any way to get this full screen format?

Yes, but you’ll have to sacrafice quality by either “squishing” the video into a square, or by cutting of the ends without squishing it.

If you just take the widescreen HD video and toss it into a standard fullcreen (4:3) dvd architect project it will automatically squish it for you.

If you want to squish it in Vegas….set your project properties to HDV 1080i (1440 x 1080) but change the pixel aspect ratio from 1.3333 to.9091

Thenright click the footage in the timeline andchange ITfrom 1.3333 to.9091 as well by selecting “properties” and you’ll see the pixel aspect ratio under the “media” tab.

Make sure your render settings are the same when you export.

If you wanna chop of the ends to make it fullscreen instead of squishing it….Drag the HDV into the same type of 1080i project as before.(with the.9091 aspect ratio) but keep the HDV video at 1.333. Right click the video in the timeline and select “Video event pan/crop.” You’ll have to disable the “lock aspect ratio” icon by clicking it so that you’ll then be able tocrop the width without affecting the height. Once you disable the icon, crop the widthuntil your videofits the 4:3 full screen in the preview window….Vegas does a nice job of automatically resizing the video to fit the screen as you decrease (crop)the width…..

To be perfectly honest….both methods suck.

The first obviously squishes the heck out of it, and the second basiclly cuts out 40% of you r video. (20% on each end)

I pesonally never like to emasculate my productions like that….lol

I would suggest playing around with the different aspect ratios to understand how each work….everything is based in relation to the square pixel (1.000)

Export the HDV file as usual and import into a fulscreen dvd architect project and it will maitain it’s 4:3 ratio.

It’s really not as hard as it sounds, but I would just leave it widescreen.(but I also know some clients can be stubborn)

>>>Is there a setting to adjust to capture the entire tape into one clip?

If you’re talking about capturing in Vegas…..I don’t know. I never captured anything in Vegas I don’t think.

If you’re talking about capturing with the cineform codec software…you’ll have to go into the “pref” at the bottom right corner and uncheck the “split file on scene change” box….that should work.

Maybe someone can help that knows more about capturing in Vegas.

Regards

Participant

btw….it’s not always a good idea to have a whole tape captured into one file especially if you plan on editingthatfileextensively.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lenses for video — 2021

Lenses are key to making your favorite camera create the images you envision. These are the best lenses for video available today.
homicide-bootstrap