TRV130 – fix or replace?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

My TRV130 no longer plays Digital 8 tapes properly. The pieces of the video image do not line up vertically, as if the image was cut into horizontal strips and then lined up unevenly. I have about two dozen tapes that I would like to convert to AVI files. As far as I can tell, I have several options. Which do you recommend?

• Have the camera repaired
      • Buy a new Digital 8 camera
      • Take my chances on a used camera
      • Rent a camera
      • Send the tapes to a service to be converted to DVD. (One local video company quoted me $35 per tape.)
      Participant

Was this camera used to record the tapes? If the actual problem is in the camera and occured before the recordings, that may have been translated to the tapes. Playing them on another machine might produce similar results.

If you are just using this camera as a playback deck, you could have luck using another camera.

Inactive

I considered that possibility. However, the recordings had played back on the same camera without problems before.

Participant

Try recording new tapes and see if they play fine. Possibly, the tapes were dropped or damaged. If the problem is in the camcorder, I’d recommend getting a repair (which probably isn’t cheap).

Inactive

The bad news is that there’s no longer such a thing as a “new” Digital8 Camcorder. Sony has officially moved to MiniDV. If you want something new that can play Digital8, getting a deck like this is about your only option anymore, unless you find some New D8 cameras that a store hasn’t sold off yet.

Back in it’s day, the 130 was one of the more basic D8 camcorders out there. I wouldn’t be suprised if Sony doesn’t service them anymore even.

Honestly, my suggestion would be to go to a pawn shop and find another Digital8 Camcorder on their shelves. Bring your tapes with you, and ask to see how the camera plays the tapes BEFORE you buy the camera (they’ll usually do this for you). That way you can see if the camera will work for you. If so, a D8 camcorder should be mega-cheap, no more than $100 at the most, after all, they’re antiquated technology (you can use those words to haggle down the price at the pawn shop).

Once you find a camcorder that can play your tapes, get a camera that records onto MiniDV, and dub those tapes over to a format that’s not going totally extinct! πŸ™‚

Inactive

Thanks for all the suggestions. My main interest is in making AVI copies of the tapes, so I can copy these to DVDs or other formats.

Inactive

In that case, definitely go with the pawn shop idea. You’re bound to find one camera that will let you transfer your footage.

About a year ago I did exactly what I’m suggesting, and I went to buy a Digital8 camcorder from a pawnshop, to use as a D8 deck to capture tapes for clients. I spent 60 bucks, and got a camcorder that came with a wide angle lens and an extra battery. That’s probably your way to go.

One thing I will encourage you to do though: get a head cleaning cassette and run it through your existing camcorder. Different tape manufacturers use different lubricants on their tapes, and in some cases, mixing tape brands creates a sticky gum that can clog heads. A good head cleaning MIGHT solve this issue. And if it doesn’t, well then you can still use the head cleaning cassette on the “new” camcorder to make sure that it’s been cleaned of all mannters of nasty first.

Inactive

You can find some excellent deals on ebay as well. I agree, buy a used camera to use as a deck. You can find some steals on Ebay if you look pretty hard. I actually had to convert boxes of home movies done on an old beta video camera. I bought an old beta deck off of Ebay, dirt cheap (from a seller with an excellent rating) and it has been wonderful. I cleaned it up and have used it for a couple of other conversion projects since. The first project more than paid for the deck.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors β€” 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap