Truely Free Stock Video? – Getting a feel for the waters.

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Truely Free Stock Video? – Getting a feel for the waters.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey guys, I have recently created a site that offers a chance for the digital filmmaking and video productions community to get together and share their stock video. Right now I am not going to post a link to it, because I do not want to seem like I am advertising something.

What I do want to know is: If there were a site that offered you an opportunity to download free cost, and royalty free video, but in order for the site to be successful you, like everyone else, would need to help contribute to the stock video library (also stock SFX and music). Would you participate in such a site?

So to restate the questions: Would you submit stock video content that you recorded, and allow that video to be public domain so that everyone could use it in their own productions without cost to them or you? And in return you would be able to download the stock video from other people and use it in your productions.

If you want I can post a link to the site, but I want forum members to tell me to post the link. So you guys do not feel like I am spamming you.

If there is interest in this site, which I hope there is, then I think this will be hugely beneficial to everyone.

Participant

I have replied to these type of posts before and I am all for it. I am in the Napa Valley and could supply custom shots in 4:3, 16:9 SD if so required. (AVI format to get the highest possible quality.)

Participant

YES I’d contribute

Participant

Okay guys well, the good news is that I have posted at many different forums etc, and interest seems to be high. The bad news is, currently there is only 1 video, so there is not a lot to share. So lets see if we can get some stock posted!

Here is the website: http://www.opendv.com

Also please let me know what you think about usability and everything. I want to make sure that it is easy to use. I am still working on it. But sometimes progress is slow. I really appreciate comments suggestions etc. I am maintaining the site by myself so I can miss things sometimes.

Thanks again I hope we see a huge community involvement. There are some tutorial for the not so tech savvy, I don’t think that includes anyone here. And there is also a faq. And lets try to spread the word.

Participant

I put a message on the forum at Digital Juice. Maybe it will help. πŸ˜‰
      J.

Participant

Cool thx.

Participant

If I get a chance this weekend I’ll shoot some stuff to upload. I need to play with the camera some anyway. πŸ˜‰
      J.

Participant

I was planning to record some stock myself.

Inactive

This is an excellent idea, and you have avoided many pitfalls (and legal implications) by not actually hosting the files.

You may be interested that the site below give awayatleast 3 HD stock video and animation clips each month. These are royalty free for any purpose.

http://www.wavebreakmedia.com/stock-video-footage-i-15/Free-HD-Stock-Video-and-3d-Animation-Downloads.html

I’m not sure how these would link in with your site as they change each month,and a user needs to download from the site. Have you considered also having a resource page with external links to such pages as this? You might even be able to link in with the RSS feeds that some sites provide.

The opendv projectcould evolve into an excellent resource and greatly needed. Bestof luck, I will keep an eye on it !

Participant

This is a very good idea and I will be shooting some stuff to upload when I get time!

There is something I use like this called Soundsnap which is the same thing, but only music loops and SFX. No video.

groupwriting: I think those type of sites are good sometimes, but they only give you new free stuff every month. I’d like new free stuff when I want it which could be a bunch of new stuff every day or couple of hours.

I will be uploading stuff, sure.

Inactive

Sounds like a worthwhile project – and a good reason to drag out the camera

Inactive

This is a great idea. I would definitely contribute to this.

Inactive

As a side note: sure does seem like you won’t have a problem generating interest in the project πŸ˜‰

Participant

I’ll certainlyhelpcontributesome stuff wheneverI get achance.

I’m not sureifthiswouldwork well,but a “request” section might be nice where peoplecanrequest stuff.Likesomeoneinthe middleof acity wantscountry-sidefootageandcan’t getout ofthecity?Justathought…

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap