Trouble importing mpg into adobe premiere pro 2.0

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Trouble importing mpg into adobe premiere pro 2.0

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have beening trying to import mpg files into APP 2.0 but with no luck. I have tried changing the formats from mpg 1 to mpg 2 but nothing works. I keep getting file format not supported or corrupt. Does anyone have any idea what the deal is? By the way I am using the trail version at this time.

Participant

Premiere really doesn’t import Mpeg very well. You would be better off converting it to an AVI format or editing in Womble or VideoRedo, or any Mpeg editor. If you want to use Premiere, best to convert to an AVI format (remember, AVI is a container not an actual format) with low compression, like a DV type format.

Participant

Thanks to you both for your response. I am aiming this at caligulathegod. I have read a few forums that said that Adobe Premiere Pro did have issues importing and editing Mpg format files. However I also read on the Adobe website that APP does import and edit Mpgs. So i am somewhat confused by this issue I am having. But I will try it your way. Can you advise me on a mpg editor? Preferably a free download version.

Thanks

Clover

Participant

Premiere will import, but Adobe’s site says that it’s not really recommended, due to the way Mpeg is compressed. When it did it, it was all jumpy.

I’d check out videohelp.com tools section for recommendations on free mpeg editors. I recommend VideoRedo.com as a very simple effective one. It has a free trial, and the purchase price is reasonable.

I think Cfulton just misread the question, because his response is about Encore.

Participant

I did download Video Redo as you suggested, however it does not allow me to save as an AVI file(which APP prefers per your previous post). These are the file formats that APP is supposed to support:

Video formats
      Advanced Authoring Format (AAF)
      Macromedia Flash Video (FLV)
      Microsoft AVI and DV AVI
      Animated GIF
      MPEG-1 (and MPEG-1-VCD)
      MPEG-2 (and MPEG-2-DVD)
      RealMedia
      QuickTime
      Windows Media

It seems odd that they would say that they support these file formats and then don’t. Do you think it could be that I am using the Trial Version at this time?

I also tried to bring in some audio via an Mp3 file and I got the same error. Once again Adobe says that APP supports the following file formats;

Audio-only formats
      Microsoft AVI and DV AVI
      MPG
      PCM
      Dolby Digital/AC3
      WMA
      RealMedia
      QuickTime
      Windows Audio Waveform (WAV)

What are your thoughts?

Participant

What you are asking is two different things. You either want an MPEG editor or a converter to allow you to edit in Premiere. A very decent freeware converter is Super. It will convert nearly anything to anything. You’ll have to play around with it.

As for Premiere and MPEG, Adobe’s site says this:
      http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/325980.html

Importing and exporting MPEG files in Premiere

Although Premiere can import and export MPEG files, Adobe recommends that you don’t use MPEG files as source files in a Premiere project. Instead, use MPEG as the final output format of your project. MPEG files don’t lend themselves to editing because the video frames in an MPEG file aren’t self-contained. That is, any given video frame contains only the information that has changed from the previous frame. During editing, a previous frame required to fully decompress a given frame may not be present, resulting in poor quality of the final rendered frame.

So, it doesn’t matter that they use the same rendering engine for Encore and Premiere. Premiere is trying to do something different than Encore. I had to throw away hours of work in Premiere and After Effects because they were MPEG2. It basically jumped from I frame to I frame.

Also, go to http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/324997.html for an answer on the MP3 error problem. I haven’t worked with MP3s and ID tags, myself, so I can’t help there.

Participant

I downloaded "Super". It is an awesome program. Thanks for the heads up. However I have found after many hours and many versions of the mpg file mpgs just dont seem to work well in APP. As you previously stated. I had results from no audio, garbled audio, staticy audio, no video, choppy video, to pixally video. Nothing worked. It looks like I will have to redo all the projects in APP. Thank you for all your help.

Participant

Most of the video forums seem to recommend avi using HuffYUV lossless compression, which Super supports. If you need the codec, you can get it here http://neuron2.net/www.math.berkeley.edu/benrg/huffyuv.html

A quick Google search will link to lots of info about it. You’ll need lots of space, though.

Good luck.

Participant

πŸ˜€ You saved me about a months worth of work. You are wonderful. The HuffYUV codec works encredibly well. I did lose the audio but that is inconsequential. I will just sync the video with the MP3. I would offer my first born, but my wife said no way! I do have a kitten that you can have.

Indebted to you,

Clover

Inactive

caligulathegod Wrote:

What you are asking is two different things. You either want an MPEG editor or a converter to allow you to edit in Premiere. A very decent freeware converter is Super. It will convert nearly anything to anything. You’ll have to play around with it.

Thank you for this thread, it has been a big help, but I would like to know if there is a "best way" to convert MPEG-2 in SUPER before importing to PREMIER PRO 2.0 – I did have some luck converting MPEG-2 to AVI with SUPER but it still seems like it could be better. Any ideas? Thank you.

Inactive

I get the same errors with registered version, trying fixes recommended tonight

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap