Tripod question

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

So I’m looking at tripods on B&H. What’s the difference between a fluid head and a micro fluid head? Would there be any difference in performance? Also, in the specs, for tilt and pan drag, it says “not applicable”, and some others it says “1 fixed”. What does that mean? Thanks,

Lee

Inactive

What’s the difference between a fluid head and a micro fluid head?

I believe the difference is that a micro fluid head is smaller and is made for smaller consumer cameras.

Would there be any difference in performance?

Probably, since there was a HUGE difference between my old micro “fluid” head and my Bogen 503 fluid head.

Also, in the specs, for tilt and pan drag, it says “not applicable”, and some others it says “1 fixed”. What does that mean?

Tilt and pan drag is the amount of drag you have when you pan or tilt. A lot of drag creates resistance whereas minimal drag creates the opposite. Cheaper heads have a fixed amount of drag, but the better heads let you adjust the amount of drag.

Inactive

One more thing,

you might want to check out this website for more info: http://www.mediacollege.com/video/camera/tripod/choose.html

Inactive

No kidding, Hank, did you ruin a VX2100?

Participant

oh man, that stinks. my #1 biggest fear is accidentally destroying my one camera

Inactive

Sorry to hear about that Hank. Talk about a bad day! I hope your VX2100 will be OK after repair.

Can anyone out there recommend a good tripod for a 2100? (about five pounds with battery, I think).

I would highly recommend any Bogen/Manfrotto tripod & head. What’s your price range? I recently bought and am very happy with Manfrotto 3246 legs with a Manfrotto 503 head. It can hold my GL2 with 5 hour battery and wireless mic receiver (about 6.5 pounds total) flawlessly. I’ve even put an XL2 with full gear on it and it’s just great. This should be a really good tripod setup for your VX2100.

Good luck with things!

Inactive

Hank, I’ve never gone wrong with Bogen. Good tripod.

Inactive

My original tripod budget was $150, but after seeing just how bad a cheap tripod can be, we’re going to be open-minded on the price this time. Hoping to get a decent tripod for under four hundred.

Just a suggestion. Too keep the price down but quality up, go for the Bogen 501 head with 3046 legs. Then, when your budget allows, upgrade the head to the 503. It will provide added support for that FX1 if you decide to buy it. But really, the 501 is a great head. True fluid.

Participant

I finally decided on which one to go with, and I went with the 501 head and the 3021 legs. That was really pushing my budget, but I wanted to get that nice head and not have to worry about a “mini” fluid head going bad on me.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap