Tripod Help

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I wouldn’t use an oil based lubricant on plastic parts. If you must lubricate it, I would suggest a silicon based product.

Inactive

hey guys, got a real quick question. i bought a Sunpak 7500 Pro Tripod, and its really a good tripod. anyway, when i start to record, the second i wanna turn it it is kinds gerky, and i was just wanting to know for a VERY smooth turn sould i put some WD-40 in the joints? its good once you get past that first push. but, i really would like it to be as smooth as butter in a hot pan…..okay….that was stupid…but, just wanted to know if WD-40 would be the best thing to use.

Participant

You do need a good fluid head to get a decent pan. Most of the problems I have seen with pans and a bad tripod is that first jerk and and stop. That and inconsistent timing. I’m not a big fan of long pans – so if you do have one, try starting out earlier and ending later so that you have the entire pan in movement. Then in post, you transition to and from the pan while it is always moving. The user would never see the "start" and end of the pan.
      (Make sense?)

I haven’t tried it, but a cheap alternative is instead of a tripod, try setting your camera on a bean bag on a lazy susan, then slowly rotate the lazy susan.

Inactive

My tripod/head cost more than my first brand new car! There is no substitute for a true fluid head. My camera(JVC-5000U) weighs in at about 20 lbs with battery and wireless mic, so a sturdy tripod is a must.
      The Miller 20 sticks and Manfronto 516 head(100mm ball) weigh in at 18 lbs. One thing you can do to a fairly sturdy tripod is suspend a bean bag(a few lbs) from the apex of the sticks. If you have mid-point speaders, you can set the weight on it. I have been very pleased with the 516 head. The variable drag settings are smooth during slow and fast pans. I shoot a lot of extreme aerobatics, so the head gets worked pretty hard.

***As a side note, I’ll be on The Learning Channel "99 Most Bizzare Survival Stories/Stunts" airing on 11 June. I shot all the footage on two of the segments, including the narrator and a "self interview".

Inactive

I have one of those golf club cases that is usually used for airlines travel. I put the tripod in that, along with other small items. Since it has wheels, long treks are easier.

Inactive

compusolver,

I can’t help with the helium, but if you want a valium equipped tripod, my wife is a nurse…..:-P

Inactive

I’ll make the most of what was a double post!

By the way, so I don’t stray off topic, I would agree that a $400-$800 budget is needed for a good tripod, though for some instances, I still use my crappy "$99 Special". It’s great for shots where the camera doesn’t need any pan or tilt, and it’s not at risk to be bumped or otherwise touched. Basically, I stick it up on balconies at weddings πŸ˜›

I’ll have to try that beanbag thing. Does B&H carry fulid-head lazy susans?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year β€” 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap