Trimming and Quality Problem

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi Guys,
      I am a total novice so forgive the ignorance. Here are 2 of the problems I am facing with my new Adobe Premiere Elements 8.

1. I don’t know how to trim (not sure if this is the right term) my videos. I don’t want to portray the whole screen captured but just a part of it. Eg. I took a video but I just want to focus the upper left side. How do I cut out the rest of the unwanted area?

2. This is my biggest problem. When I import my high quality .AVI files into APE8, the video quality goes down extremely. The pixel size as well as the whole picture quality is lowered. I tried rendering each video in the timeline but didn’t help. How do I get over this?

Thanks in advance.

Participant

Hi,

I think you may be looking for the crop effect. Apply the crop effect to your clip and you can adjust what part of the frame is cut out and what part remains.

What is the source of the avi files? Not all avi files are compatible with Premiere Elements. There are many codecs that use a AVI wrapper, such as MJPEG and DIVX. Premiere ELements works best with DV-AVI captured from a DV Camcorder via Firewire.

Here are some good free tutorials on getting started with Premiere ELements, Basic Training;

http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=44

Participant

1. Getting new to the production vocabulary isn’t always easy. The proper name of the function you want to perform would be to “crop” the image. Premiere Elements may or may not have a function to do so.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/7.0/WS44DE71A2-B004-4103-BD28-54BB1BB42A27.html

2. If all you were viewing was a 3″ across the screen preview box, then you shouldn’t be deceived by the quality of preview. Editing software is known for increasing speed by compromising quality of preview. Your software may have an option for adjusting the preview quality. Have you tried comparing your files in Windows Media Player, or whatever digital media program that Apple uses?

Participant

XTR, you linked to the Premiere Elements help page that describes the Crop effect so you do know that the program does offer that function.

Premiere Elements does have a preview monitor that allows you to set the size of the preview.
      You can also adjust the size of the window by dragging the edges. There really isn’t a preview quality however, not like in After Effects for example. In Premiere Elements, what you see is what you get. This applies especially after the preview has been rendered.

Not sure what the Apple reference is for, Premiere Elements is a Windows only application.

If the preview is bad there is a reason for it. Could be the original video is 320 x 240 and Premiere Elements is stretching it to fit the project size, whatever that might be. Could be the video uses a different field order or that this is progressive video in a interlaced project preset, or vice versa.

There is no way of knowing what is going on without a lot more information πŸ˜‰

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video β€” 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap