Trim

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

HI Guys,

i have just been watching some Premier tutorials, and one of them talked about trimming clips when using transitions.

Now, i simply dont understand why this is done. I cut the clips i want at the exact points i want, so if i Trim them (by 30 frames recomended in the tutorial) i will lose some of the footage i want, wont i?

Can someone tell me why this is done.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Inactive

IMO, trimming and cutting are really the same thing. The terminology being used is just different.

What theyre probably talking about with regards to the 30 frames and transitions are what I call available head or tail space. When you use a transition, there is a certain amount of the head or tail (beginning or ending) of a clip that is used or overlapped to make the transitions work correctly. It kind of depends on what transition youre using too.

In order to use a transition you will have to cut or trim back a clip so there are frames available that can be used for overlapping in a transition. Otherwise the transition won’t apply correctly. As long as you don’t see the small little triangle in the upper right (or left) corner of the clip on the timeline you won’t have to worry about anything and you’ll be OK. That little triangle tells you that this is the "TRUE" beginning or ending of a imported clip. If the little triangle is there, they are more or less just telling you that you need to trim back the clip at least 30 frames so that the transition you apply will have some overlaping frames of video available to work correctly. You’ll know if you don’t have enough frames available because when you add a transition between two clips, it won’t apply to both clips evenly. It will want to jump or snap to just one of the clips instead.

RAM

Inactive

Ey up mate,

cheers for the reply, but i still dont get it.

I dont understand why you would take away footage, i thought you would add it if anything.

I thought that the transition you add would just fade one clip out and the other in or something like that.

The practise footage that i worked on was fine and i never trimmed anything, other than to get rid of stuff i didnt want.

Never mind, i think i will get there one day.

Cheers,

Jay

Inactive

The one thing you have to keep in mind when using a transition between two different clips is that for that one brief moment (the length of the transition) Premiere Pro needs to use both clips at the same time to give you the desired affect.

Example: When you use a simple dissolve transition between two clips, you will see your fist clip start to fade away while the next clip is fading in. If you stop the timeline indicator right in the middle if this transition, you will actually see both clips at the same time on top of each other with only half of their opacity. In other words they are overlapped which is done automatically by the transition effect you applied.

Now when they talk about trimming back a clip, they are telling you that you need to make available some frames for this overlapping to occur. Remember too that just because you make a cut on a clip on the timeline, there really is more available footage from your source file available. Youre just seeing a visual representation of what you want to see or want to show via the timeline.

Now with that said, if you have a clip on the timeline that represents the full length of your source file, you should see a tiny little triangle in the upper right hand corner (on the end of a clip) or the upper left hand corner (at the beginning of the clip.) That is telling you that this clip is at full length and that there is no more footage available from your source file. When you see this and you try to add a transition to it AND an adjacent clip, PP will not let you because there is no more physical footage available (underneath in the background) for the overlapping to occur which is needed to make transitions work.

Do this: Take a clip and make sure you extend it all the way on a timeline so you see the tiny little triangle. Now put another clip next to it that does NOT have the triangle. Now try adding a transition between the two clips. You will see that the transition will snap to one clip or the other but it will NOT split itself evenly between the two clips like its designed too. Thats because there is no physical footage available on the one clip.

Now take that full clip (with the triangle) and trim it back a little bit using one of the tools from the tool box. You will first see that the little triangle disappears. Thats because there is now more footage available (underneath in the background) from the source file its linked too. Now add the transition between the two clips. You will see that it will now snap to the middle of the two clips creating a complete transition from the first clip to the other.

RAM

Inactive

Ahhhh,

i think i get it now.

You Trim the clip if back further than your oprigonal ediot to stop Premier using the bit you wanted to cut off in your origonal edit as the transition.

I.e. if i have a clip that ends with someone triping over, but dont want to show this, so edit / cut it just before the trip, but then set a transition to this, it will actually use some of the trip footage as the overlap.

So to not show the overlap i need to trim the clip back so that the transition ends just before the trip and not the actual clip.

I think this is right and if it is, it makes perfect sence now.

Cheers mate, you have made the penny drop.

Jay

Inactive

"By George… I think he’s got it!"

πŸ˜€

Inactive

Lol,

cheers mate. It really is hard for me to grasp certain (very) simple things.

Thanks again,

Jay

• Viewing 6 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap