Transparent background for text

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello All,

This is my first post here and I hope my question isn’t too dumb. I’ve been forced into a situation where I have to create some very simple videos to give a video tour of an apartment complex. I’ve never played with video editing at all and although I consider myself fairly computer literate, this one is really giving me fits. The software (Vegas 8) does not seem very intuitive at all and while I’ve gone through several tutorials, I can’t seem to accomplish what I would expect to be VERY simple effects.

I’ve got some raw video and I just want to superimpose some text on it, but my results have been very hit or miss. I first used Generated Media, specifially the “Default Text” in the “Text” section. This item has a checkerboard background (which, according to the documentation) is supposed to be transparent. Instead, it yields a black background that totally covers the video. I then tried the “Credit Roll” series of generated media. The “Scrolling on Transparent” item worked once (at the very beginning of the video), but when I try to use it again later in the video, it’s as if it’s not even there. The video plays and no text is shown at all.

This really is a very humbling experience. I usually pick up new software with ease, but this one has me pulling my hair out. If anyone has any thoughts or hints, I’d love to hear them.

Anonymous
      Inactive

your text should be on the track above the video track

far from your observations, Vegas is very intuitive. Additionally, check out Ed Troxels newsletters on vegas, they start from Vegas 4 but all still apply to version 8. http://www.jetdv.com

John

Anonymous
      Inactive

John,

Thanks for the help! I did finally figure out that the text needs to be above the video track. It’s now working as I expected. I’m also playing with a text crawl across the bottom instead of scrolling credits and although I’m getting close, I’m having trouble controlling the speed and timing. I think a big problem is vocabulary. I found instructions in the help index on how to manipulate the crawl, but it assumes some degree of previous knowledge. For instance, “Drag your text block to the right edge of the frame in the workspace” is plain enough English, but which edge of the text block goes on the edge of the frame? I’m stumbling through and will eventually get it, but more thorough or fully explained steps would really help out a rank beginner like myself.

I guess intuition is a very subjective attribute because I’m still struggling. Perhaps my assessment will change after a bit more experience. But then I won’t be drawing on intuition alone, will I? πŸ™‚ And I’m headed over to hetdv.com right now.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Editing’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

How to buy a camera β€” 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.