Transferring Footage

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hi I have a quick and potential stupid question…

I am borrowing a friends XL2 camera to record an interview and was wondering if I record on the XL2 can I use a different mini-dv camcorder (Canon HV40) to transfer the footage or will that cause issues? I plan on recording in 60i and no special settings, just the auto setting.

(I will be transferring to a Mac or morespecificallyFCP7.)

Thanks for the help!

Participant

Best, I feel, to hang onto the borrowed camcorder for long enough to transfer the footage safely to computer. That has been my experience, over-the-years.

Ian Smith – Dunedin, New Zealand.

Participant

Logic would suggest that there won’t be any problem. However, the logic of camera manufacturers is not always logical(!) so who knows. I’ve used the Canon HV40 but I don’t recall having used it with tape from another camera. Can you try it out before committing to the job?

Jack

http://www.viceoccasions-nw.com

Participant

I hate it (no not really) when someone asks a question that I am not sure of the answer and have to pull out some gear to try it.

I have an HV20 (same as the HV40 except the zoom control on the earlier model is a but harder to use), and a pile of tapes recorded in SD in a a Canon XM2 which uses the same transport as the XL2.

I changed the replay software setting on the HV20 from HDV to DV, connected the firewire lead, opened a new DV project in Premier CS5 loaded a random tape recorded on the XM2 and started a capture (by now maybe five minutes had gone by,) let it capture, complete with scene detect, for about 15 minutes. No dropped frames, Dropped the lot on the time line and played back random scenes with perfect results.

It wasn’t a suprise as for all of the time I had DV cameras, which was pretty much from the begining of DV, I used the same old Sony camera as a capture machine, to save the heads on my later three or fourcameras by using them for videoing only.

Having said that I have had a policy of only using one make of tape (Sony DVM60). If the two cameras have had extensive use with different makes of tape, there could be flow problems in the transport mechanism which may cause drop outs in the captured material. I have never experienced it though even when occasionally capturing footage for friends with different makes of tape.

Cheers Ian

Ian (and everyone really),

Thank you for the greatresponse’s. I trulyappreciateit!

• Viewing 4 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2020

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
    homicide-bootstrap