tracing a map route

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Sorry if the title was confusing but I couldn’t think of anything better.

I’m making a travel video and I’d like tomake a red line along the route we took. You’ve seen it in movies where the airplane goes across the ocean and the red line follows its route on a map. How would I do that? I’m using Pinnacle Studio 11 and I have Photoshop 6.0. Thanks.

Inactive

Hi, CC

I use Pinnacle 11 too (bought it just a couple of months ago, so I still don’t know even half of what I can do with it).

Recently I have done exactly what you want, a travel video with some parts in which a red line follows a route on a map.I was using a digital camera, so I fixedthe map on a wall andput the camera on a tripod. Took a picture of the clean map. Then I made a small dot, tookanother picture, another dot, another picture, and so on.

It is boring, but the result is good. Particularly, if you use small dots and lots of pictures. I don’t know if there is any easier way to do it.

Cheers,

Iad

Participant

Hey Iad-

Taking a photo of the map is a good idea. I was going to scan it but I like your idea much better. So you imported each photo as 1 frame? Thanks.

Chris

Participant

Well, you could take a single digital image and use an image editor like PS Elements and copy each one adding a new dot on the trail of the map. Should be faster anyway.

Participant

I know you can do it with Magix Movie Edit Pro 12. Here is a link to a tutorial:

http://www.aaproductions.net/mep/tips/tutorials/tutorials.htm

Inactive

cc,

Any editor that supports layers should allow you to have a map as the background layer, with dots superimposed from another layer. Come to think of it, you could even animate a small car image traveling along the route. (Brings back images of the Monty Python animations.)

Ken Hull

Inactive

you could also use a mask. create the route line, then mask it off and slowly reveal the line by moving the mask

Participant

I’ve been playing around with layers in PS6 and the reults are mediocre, but I’ll get it eventually. I’m not sure how to use masks. I’d have to look it up in the help menu -but I appreciate the suggestion.

I think the real fun will start when I try to figure out how to import the graphics into the video.

Participant

Does your editor support keyframes? If so you could do it that way.

• Viewing 8 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap