Total Noob Questions Regarding the Switch to HD Production

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Total Noob Questions Regarding the Switch to HD Production

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey…long time lurker…first time poster!! I did a search on this topic but didn’t find any answers that addressed my questions. (Mods…please provide a link or merge me into the proper thread if need be).

My question has to do with the transition from being an SD miniDV production to an HD miniDV production facility.

I currently shoot on SD miniDV with a Canon XL1…I have a SD Panasonic miniDV deck that I use to ingest my footage into my Mac G5 (and an external LaCia drive)…and I edit on Final Cut Pro…then we output the finished product back to SD miniDV tape…OR…we author a DVD via DVD Studio Pro…which is finalized in Toast for easier duplication.

Currently, we are investigating switching from SD to producing in HD. We are looking at buying a Panasonic HVX200 camera.

Questions:
      1. What will I need to upgrade in order to achieve the best possible HD product?
      2. Will I also need an new HD deck for encoding and output?
      3. Will I need different software or a newer version of Final Cut Pro for editing (I have the most recent version of FCP)?
      4. Will I need special upgrades/applications to author HD DVD’s?
      5. What, if any, mass HD DVD duplication hardware will we need to invest in? Blu-Ray?
      6. Can you still shoot on SD miniDV tape with your HD camera…(if you are shooting something you don’t necessarily need to be in HD)?
      7. Simply…Is all the equipment I’m using now rendered useless by switching to HD?

What we are really looking to decide is…is it budgetarily sound for us, right now, to upgrade to HD production. Have any of you faced these same concerns?

Thanks in advance…any help you could throw my way would be a huge help! Sorry for such noob questions!!

Inactive

Thanks for your reply, Compu! That does offer insight I didn’t have before. Since we do a lot of DVD output…I’m wondering if we should just wait to switch to HD production until AFTER the Blu-Ray/HD DVD format battle has settled. Thanks, again!

Any other Apple users do the HD production conversion yet?

Inactive

Candid Cam Video Wrote:

Thanks for your reply, Compu! That does offer insight I didn’t have before. Since we do a lot of DVD output…I’m wondering if we should just wait to switch to HD production until AFTER the Blu-Ray/HD DVD format battle has settled. Thanks, again!

You also have to consider how many people even own HD-DVD/Blue-ray players to date. Sure, anyone that has a PS3 has one, but how many will actually use it for watching blue-ray DVD’s?

If I had to guess, I would say that MAYBE 5% of the US market (if that) has either.

There’s also the possibility that neither format will win or another format may come out as well.

Inactive

The questions you have to ask, though, is how many will actually go out and buy a BR disc or HD-DVD to watch them on their consoles? And, then how many would actually request either format from you in regards to their video production? The number, IMHO, would be very low at this point in time.

And the HD-DVD is optional on the X-Box. Plus, they’re another $200. I don’t see that many people rushing out to get them.

Inactive

I agree, elderban. I would have to say the demand for either format right now is nil. And…most people, I would think, already own such huge movie libraries on SD DVD’s…that switching to either format would cause most consumers to opt for a system that plays both kinds…like the HD DVD players now that mimic an "upconversion" of your SD DVD’s for playback on your HDTV.

It won’t be until the HD DVD/Blu-Ray player’s cost comes down to the level of current SD DVD players before the typical consumer will start buying ONLY HD DVD releases. But…unlike the Betamax/VHS format war of the early 80’s…I could see both formats actually becoming widespread with no clear "winner". And movies would be released for both formats…like how the video games are released. We’ll see, I suppose.

OK…I’m starting to lean towards the Sony HDR-FXI…just from the reviews online…and here on this forum…and the fact that it accepts both Mini DV and HDV formats…may be the ideal camera for a smooth transition into HD production. I produce a lot of content for satellite PPV and VOD…and while the ramp up for HD programming (ie, those DirecTV "Back to the Future" ads, anyone?) is moving forward…HDTV saturation across the country still isn’t quite high enough to justify the demand. So, I’m planning on shooting in HDV and mastering to SD Mini DV so that when the big switch-a-roo does happen…I will already have a library of HD content under my belt to pull footage from….but will still be able to output to SD for the time being.

Anyone else have a similar plan…or am I crazy? lol

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap