TIME CODE BREAKS IN PREMIERE PRO

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’VE DONE SOME RESEARCH AND READ A FEW THINGS, BUT I AM STILL NOT SURE WHAT THE DEAL IS WITH TIME CODE BREAKS.

WHEN I TRY TO CAPTURE AN ENTIRE DV TAPE THAT I FILMED, IT WILL CAPTURE ABOUT 6 SECS. AND THEN STOP. THEN I TRY TO CAPTURE MORE FROM THAT POINT, AND IT CAPTURES ABOUT 4 SECS. AND THEN STOPS AGAIN. WHAT’S THE DEAL?

HOW CAN I PREVENT THAT FROM HAPPENING NEXT TIME? I REFUSE TO "BLACK" MY TAPES (KEEPING THE LENSE CAP ON, AND MIC TURNED OFF, AND RECORDING THE ENTIRE TAPE AND THEN REWINDING IT IN ORDER TO START FILMING WHAT I AM WANTING TO SHOOT)

AND, WHAT ARE WAYS TO FIX THIS PROBLEM WITH THE TAPES THAT I HAVE ALREADY TAPED AND ARE TRYING TO CAPTURE? HOW CAN I CAPTURE MY WORK WITHOUT IT STOPPING EVERY FEW SECONDS?

SEEKING HELP FROM ANY AND EVERYONE!!! WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS? :'(

Participant

Unless you eject your tape and re-insert it between shots, there should be no problem with the timecode when capturing. How do you know this is a timecode problem? What signs are there?

Participant

well, the error message said something about a "error with the time code" or something like that.

and I read that if you are filming, and then turn it to VCR and watch what you just filmed, and then go back to the point where you left off to continue filming again, it will break the time code. i use a canon xL1s so i’m not sure if that is strictly for that kind of camera. but it sucks because it is going to take for everrrrrr to capture all of this film before i can even start to edit. i was wondering if maybe it was a soft ware bug that hasn’t been fixed? there were a lot of similar complaints on a page i found in google about time code errors.

but i will try to just take it our and reinsert it before capturing, but i’m not thinking that will do much. is there a way to wipe the time code clean without erasing my footage? or if i zero it out and reset the time code, will that make it even more difficult to capture? this is pretty lame and doesn’t make sense, screw a time code. other cheapo cams just record and play footage right into capture. wonder why this prog and cam have to be so darn difficult. in theory, it should just play in the capture screen and allow me to record or "capture" what is playing. it is such a huge mess!

Participant

What you will probably need to do is capture the footage without device control (turn off device control and just "record" the footage using the vcr type controls). As far as whether switching to playback mode breaks the timecode, I cant say that I know for sure. I wouldn’t think it would but I never check my footage using playback mode while I’m out shooting.

Participant

yeah, i got into that habbit. i figure it is best to just shoot, and then wait to view it later. if i think i messed up a shot, i can always just re-shoot it. thanks!

anyone else? ever had a time – code break error in Premiere ?? no one?

Participant

well, I have one batt charging while the other is in the cam. Then I change them when necessary during an event. So I guess I do "turn it completely off" or whatever. Rats! I can’t take this problem, it is really screwing things up for my editing. Do you ever have to change a batt during the middle of your tape at an event? Or do you wait for the end of the tape and then go ahead and switch the batts before this can present said problem???

Participant

compusolver Wrote:

I use generic 970 (Sony model) batteries that last nine hours or so. I never need to change batteries, though I always carry an extra, just in case.

Same here (but Canon). I never need to change.

Participant

WOW! i will definitely have a look at those batts. Thanks. So i’m guessing that may be part of the problem. We shall see if I get anymore time code errors on my next project when I do NOT change batteries (shutting off the power to the camer).

anyone else have any OTHER thoughts about these errors (excluding the possibility of it being related to completely powering down the cam???)

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap