This laptop fine for video editing?

• This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 12 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong place, but i was wondering if this set up would be fine for high end video editing. I currently edit normal video, but could possible move to HD later on. I also currently edit on Vegas Pro 8.

Studio XPS 16

16 inch display

Intel core 2 duo t9550 (6 mb cache, 2.66ghz,1066mhz)

4gb dual channel ddr3 sdram 1067 mhz

320 gb 7200 rpm sats hard drive

ati mobility radeon hd 3670 512mb

$1274

Just wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks!

Participant

Yeah…you’ll be able to do some damage and make some decent HD cuts, but what do you mean by “high end?”That’s a pretty subjective term….

Inactive

Sorry, shouldn’t have necessarily said high end. I’m currently a film student, and want to use this PC to edit my films. Looking to do some independent film work and wedding/commercial work after school, so just seeing if this was good enough for that sort of stuff πŸ™‚

Participant

If you have some decent skils, that computer can go along way…but eventuallyit’ll probably be necessaryto beef it up a little if you wanna make a decent livingthrowing down some chops…

Participant

The specs for this PC are probably great for video editing, though I would get a Mac instead if it’s not too much trouble. I do not have one myself, but I heard that they have better speed and stability for editing video.

Blakes,

Your machine is just fine for editing. With your current setup you can do a reasonable amount of HD editing (HDV, AVCHD, maybe even XDCAM without a lot of effects.) You’re definitely going to need an external harddrive(s) to hold your media files (doing everything on the OS drive is a bad idea.) You will run into issues with rendering HD effects/transitions (Vegas can’t do realtime effects in HD or DV) and rendering will take up most of your time (unfortunately, I haven’t seen any hardware accelerator cards / adapters for laptops yet.) But for now, you’ve got a system that will get the ball rolling for you. As for the ‘Get a Mac’ mantra, I’ll follow my grandma’s advice, “If you can’t say anything nice….”

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors β€” 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap