Thinking of making the switch

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi everyone, I run the photo/video department of a non-profit organization and we were thinking of making the switch to HD. I was hoping you all could provide some clarification on some fuzzy areas for me. This is what we currently have:

Computer used for video editing – Dell Optiplex GX745 Intel Core2 CPU, 6600 @ 2.4GHz 2.39 GHz, 2 GB of RAM and a Radeon X1300/X1550 video card

Editing software – Avid Xpress Pro v5.5

3 DVCAM decks – 1 Sony DSR-25 and 2 Sony DSR-11’s

So my first question is can this computer handle HD video? I figure we would need some upgrades, especially some more storage space, but how is it looking as-is? Second, would those decks read HD tapes? Third, does AXP v5.5 handle HD video? I kind of walked into this set-up never using Avid before so I’m sorry if these are stupid questions. Any help or advice you could give would be much appreciated!

birdcat
      Participant

I had a much slower Core 2 Duo PC and was able to edit the AVCHD natively (.MTS files) in Sony Vegas Pro 8 with it. If you have a problem (as I did when forced to edit on my older P4 2.53GHz 1GB RAM), I would suggest UpShift from VASST – For $50 it converts MTS files to M2T (lightly compressed) which I use to edit on the slower box. It works very well, albeit requires more disk space (depending on your quality settings).

Anonymous
      Inactive

i would say that you can be able to edit hd on that box, but i would suggest that you up the ram at the very least.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN