The Shaky Look in Video

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I recently finished the John Adams videos and noticed that in most of the closeups

there was a visible, but small camera movement.

I was wondering if they added this in editing or did they actually have a handheld camera which

caused this movement?

Participant

sometimes they do it on purpose. if they wanted to do it on purpose, they wouldn’t do it in post.

Participant

Havnt seen the video, but sounds likesteadycam to me. Theyusuallydo that kinda thing on purpose.

Inactive

likely intentional – which is something that i like, something i’ve liked since the 80s/90s and the TV series homicide

Participant

There was a joke about new trends in TV few years ago. The joke was about 2 men crew: first guy is an actual cameraman, the second guy stays behind and shakes the camera.That’s how it looked on “NEW” TV channels.

On a serious note, the close ups may be a bit unsteady, but not hand held type shaky when cameraman is using monopod.

Shoot-It-Yourself Wedding Video

Participant

The only thing I was going to say is that you can add the video shake in post, and in general I would always suggest doing it there.

If you shoot and add a camera shake during production and later decide you want to change something, maybe you had to much shake or not enough in another part, you are kind of out of luck. If you shoot non-shakey video you have far more flexibility when you get to the post production process.

Participant

Jerronsmith, you can also use the Virtualdub plugin called Deshaker to reduce shakieness. It works by electronically zooming into the image a bit. Not the best solution, but if you do have too much camera shake, it can help.

Inactive

I’ve always heard “if you shake it more than twice…” πŸ˜‰

Participant

Ralck,

While stabilization is always an option, I would suggest using either After Effects or Combustion to remove camera shake, as I believe they give a greater amount of customization and control.

The problem with any stabilization is that it tends to force you to scale up the video footage, which can lead to a loss of quality. So I tend to suggest against doing any unnecessary effects that will require correction later. Sometimes the cure is as bad as the problem.

Participant

I completely agree with you Jeronsmith! And After Effects or Combustion will be a much better solution, but Virtualdub’s free price tag is much easier on the stomach for low budget people like me. πŸ˜›

Camera shake in post is generally a better option, but I was just trying to suggest another solution in case the shake was in the raw footage.

Participant

>>I completely agree with you Jeronsmith! And After Effects or Combustion will be a much better solution, but Virtualdub’s free price tag is much easier on the stomach for low budget people like me. :-P<<

I agree completely, you use whatever is within the available price range. There is some very good free/low cost software on the market for almost every aspect of post. It actually surprises me sometimes how good it is.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap