The right SD card for Canon Vixia HF S100

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Does anyone know if this camera will operate appropriately with a <span id=”btAsinTitle”>SanDisk Ultra 64 GB SDXC Class 10? Thanks.</span>

<span>EvanG</span>

Participant

Participant

I shoot with a Vixia hf 10 and hf 200 and now with a n hf g10, and as far as I know the only restriction I remember is to use card class 4 and faster, I haven’t tried class 10 yet but suspect that it should work. The hf g10 has 32 gigabit storage built in and haven’t tried a n extra card in that one yet

Participant

It appears the real issue is that the HF S100 takes SDHC, but not SDHX, which is what the SanDisk Extreme 64 GB class 10 card is. I’m looking now to go with a 32 GB Extreme class 10 with a read rate of 95 mb/sec. Not as much storage, but ample, and that’s some rate! Should be smooth.

EvanG

Participant

Hi Evan. If it helps you, I have used both the vixia HF100 and HF R100.

The strange issue I noticed is that even though both use SDHC fine, the HF100 didn’t accept Trascend class 10 (16Gb), but worked just fine with Sandisk class 4. Both cards bought from Amazon.

The HF R100 accepted both Sandisk class 4 and Transcend class 10 fine.

Participant

I’ve got an HF S200 and use the 16gb Transcend Class 10 SDHC cards work really well and they’re very inexpensive on Amazon. I use them in both my S200 and my T3i.

I’m not sure about the HDXC. You can google your camera to find the owners manual on the Canon site.

Participant

Thanks guys. As I mentioned earlier, I worked this out through a closer examination of the camera’s manual. The specifics in the section about SD cards made it clear that SDHX cards could not be used. However, the 32 GB SanDisk Extreme is a SDHC card with a very fast transfer rate, and fits the usable criteria, so we’re going that way.

EvanG

Participant

My Canon Vixia HF S100s (I have two.) will only work with ONE disk that I own. Said disk is a PNY 32GB. It will not work with anything else. I have initialized every disk I own. I made multiple attempts, and they will not work or be recognized. So I have literally this one disk that I have to use for two cameras. I have used slow disks rated at 4. I have used fast disks rated at 10. I have used SDHX. I have used SDHC. None of them work. None will initialize.
      Any ideas?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap