The dreaded question of which camcorder…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Although I’m new to the camcorder scene (in terms of technology and keeping up to date), I’m not new to editing and shooting video. I’ve mostly used the Canon GL2 for my projects. However, I’m moving on.

I want a somewhat better quality in the projects that I’ll be shooting. I’ve seen some amateur films with a professional look all over it (that sharp, crisp look) — but I’m sure a lot of that is in the editing technique also.

I’ll be going down to Peru for a month and will do a lot of recording there. What I’m looking for is a new camcorder, one that will last me awhile (a little more than a year). But the more research I do, the more questions I stumble upon. CMOS vs. CCD? Solid state vs. miniDV? etc…

I know CMOS lacks a little in terms of quality, but has better batter life. But I’m not sure whether I should choose solid state over miniDV. Is this where the market is headed – tapeless?

What I’m really looking for is a great camera at a great price. Something that will produce great quality and I won’t be embarrassed to show my work because of a grainy, non-professional look.

I did look at the Canon Vixia HF10. I was just wondering if this is a good one to consider or are there better? Of course I know there are better, I guess I should include a budget. I’m looking for a camera perhaps under 2k that satisfies these (low) requirements. Thanks for any help or any points in the right direction!

Inactive

What I’m looking for is a new camcorder, one that will last me awhile (a little more than a year). But the more research I do, the more questions I stumble upon. CMOS vs. CCD? Solid state vs. miniDV? etc… I know CMOS lacks a little in terms of quality, but has better batter life. But I’m not sure whether I should choose solid state over miniDV. Is this where the market is headed – tapeless?

Since your going to Peru to shoot, take in consideration, logistics, how much do you want to carry around? Tapeless is fine, but, how many cards you willing to buy? The pros to MiniDV is archivingthe shoot, the con is bulk when carrying around. Using cards, you would have to offload the cards to re-use them,unless you buy enough. Then you wouldn’t want to use cards for archives. If using a HDD camera, you’d have to bring along an exertnal drive to offload.

As for cmos or ccd, I prefer ccd, you have a better range of lighting, depending on the size of the ccd, etc. Just my preference.

Inactive

If you’re looking for better picture results than the GL2 you might want to look at a small HD camcorder. Something like the Sony HDR-FX1 or Panasonic XH-A1. They are both a little higher than 2k but from what I read, the picture quality is top-notch. Hope this helps.

Jeremy

Participant

Hey! I’m looking for a new camera. I was wondering if anybody knew of a camera right off with all or most of these requirements:

1) 3CCD or equal.Most jobs I see use this as more of awayto hire a realprofessional than anything else, but just in case…

2) Hard Drive storage(HDD?). Idon’t likeMiniDV/tapes in general.

3) Headphone jack. I don’t see what good a camera is without a headphone jack.

4) Microphone jack/speaker. Same reason as above, but less important.

5) I think manual focus/zoom would be nice.

6) USB possibilities for file transfer would be awesome!

7) As cheap as possible..of course!

The camera does not need a viewfinder. I only have a LCDscreen on mycurrent camera, so I’m not used to it.

Thanks a lot!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Nikon lenses — 2021

Nikon cameras are a favorite for DSLR shooters. Nikon has their own line of lenses, but there are also some third-party options available for both F mounts and Z mounts. Here are the best Nikon lenses currently available on the...
homicide-bootstrap