Teenager in Video Production Class

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am currently a junior in high school and I want to major in teledramatic arts when I graduate. Next year I am taking a video production class at school. THe only camcorder my family has right now is an old vhs-c and it sucks. My parents said we might be able to split the cost of a new digital camcorder. I was thinking mini-dv. What would be a good camcorder to get? Is Zoom Microphone really that helpful or should i not worry about it? Thanks for the input.

Participant

what kind of money are you working with? $300 or $3000 that is the most important thing we need to know to help answer any of your questions.
    later
    ~Adam

Inactive

About 300-500

Participant

Ok, so you are looking at getting a single chip minidv standard definition camera. You should go to http://www.bhphotovideo.com and do a consumer camcorder search and sort by price. I personally recommend going with sony or canon in that price range a panasonic might be good to give you some of the good features. Typically the more money you can spend the more features are offered. Do not get a mini DVD camcorder, not good for editing! Here are some great features if you can afford to get them: A larger ccd (chip) gets better image quality. so a 1/3inch chip is better than a 1/4inch chip, which is better than a 1/5inch chip. Audio inputs are great, that way you can use any mic that you choose. Zoom mic is not that cool of a thing. Last thing to keep in mind, digital zoom is stupid… digital zoom degrades picture quality, the only zoom that matters is optical zoom. Hope that helps..
    Later
    ~Adam

Inactive

Thanks Adam
    I can get a Canon zr100 for about 140 dollars would that be a good buy or should i spend a little more?
    thanks and my aim is qckslvr8097 so when your on next send me a message

Inactive

But would the canon zr100 be a good starter camera cuz i dont have much money to spend

Inactive

What does changing the lense do on digital video cameras? Can you change a lense on any digital video camera? Cuz I decided I want one where you can change the lense and add filters?

• Viewing 6 reply threads

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2020

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
    homicide-bootstrap