Tech Issue: Pixilation and A/V out of sync

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

So…I shot a time-sensitive gig the other day and upon viewing the two tapes I shot, there was a bunch of pixilation that reminded me of the old days of rotting VHS tape. In addition, when I imported the tape into FCP, Audio and Video were out of sync.

I shot with a Canon A1U, SD 16:9, at 60i, with Panasonic tapestock. I have been shooting with both Panasonic and Sony tapestock in this camera but cleaning the head in between.

Any ideas on what could have been the problem. Tapestock? Head? Anyone…anyone?

Another shoot tomorrow and not wanting to rent.

Time for a service, maybe? I assume you’re not over-re-using old tapes.

If you eject the tape and have a peek inside with a magnifier, does everything look clean or are there areas of build-up. A head cleaner may shuffle the gunk off the middle of the head but it may still accumulate on the adges, which can lead to tape drag and dropouts.

Participant

If AV is in sync while you are playing tape in camera, but goes out of sync during capture, this is a capturing problem, not a camera.

If your video is too long, and the AV off-set is becoming more noticeable closer to the end compare to the beginning, try to split video in shorter segments.

System resources may be a critical factor as well. I would recommend to use dedicated (separate from OS and capture software, and not USB) hard drive for saving captured video, defragment it before capture, disconnect system from the network and turn off all the resident programs. See if it helps.

‘upon viewing the two tapes I shot, there was a bunch of pixilation…’

Sorry if I misunderstood but I assumed you viewed the tapes in camera.

Participant

Thanx for all responses.

The pixilation is definitely an in camera issue. Both tapes I shot play back with pixilation before imported to FCP. I actually used head cleaner before the shoot and Canon A1U usually tells me if I have a dirty head. I am taking the camera in for maitenance. My guess is something is wrong with the heads.

As far as out of sync…May be an importing issue. I did my standard process with Firewire 800 and same settings as usual. Could it still be faulty tape problem? Soon to find out.

Participant

I know others are thinking it but I a going to go ahead and say it… Just as a reminder if nothing else.

You mentioned that you use two different tape stocks: Panasonic and Sony.
      While they are both good brands, mixing tape brands is not a good idea since each company uses it’s own lubricant. This may (will) cause damages. As I’ve stated in the past on these forums, I lost 2 cameras to mixing tape stock before I understood that that was the problem.

Especially be carefull when switching out the different tape brands so quickly. For example recording to the end of the Sony tape and then popping in the panasonic. Bad Bad Bad.

Be carefull.

You also stated that you use a head cleaner in between each tape switch-out and before the events.
      1st: It is not good to use a head cleaner that often.
      2nd: The cannon that you bought probably had a recommended head cleaner in the manual. Here’s the problem… If you get a cannon head cleaner after using Sony and panasonic tapes, it will do either nothing… or make things worse since…

The camera’s manual assumes you are using Cannon tapes. Their recommended head cleaner is designed to clean cannon tape residue not Sony/panasonic. Remember they all use different propriatary lubricant and the head cleaner only cleans it’s own brand. If you mix and match you are setting your self up.

Just my two cents.

Inactive

Amen to Brandon’s warnings! πŸ˜‰
      Ken Hull

Participant

Thanks Brandon. The mixing of tapestock always a controversy. Lesson learned–Air on the side of caution. Losing two cameras can be a lesson for us all. Lets hope I didn’t lose mine.

"I know others are thinking it but I am going to go ahead and say it…"

Glad you did. I’ve come across this gunky build-up several times while looking at cameras with these very problems, even after the owners had used a head cleaner, so I knew this can cause those types of problems…

…but I didn’t know about mixing tapes!

Luckily for them, a professional service sorted things out, and luckily for me I only use the same Sony tapes every time, and I tend to avoid the head cleaners as much as I can (I knew it wasn’t really a good idea to overuse them), but I never would have thought about there being a problem with mixing tapes. So that for me definitely was the tip of the day – thanks, Brandon.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap