T3i/600D Magic Lantern Help?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi there,

Yesterday I dove into the world of DSLR cameras and purchased a Canon T3i/600D. I’ve been shooting video with it, and I’ve been very pleased with the quality. However, I did notice that in some shots, there has been some grain. I did some research on this and found out that when the ISO is set in multiples of 160, there is significantly less grain and noise.

Unfortunately, for a reason I don’t know, Canon has loaded the T3i with stock ISO’s in multiples of 100. The solution for me would be to load Magic Lantern onto the camera. I’m pretty hesitant however. Will this void my warranty? I just got the camera yesterday and after buying the 1 year protection plan for $70, two class 10 memory cards and and the camera itself, I came up to a total of $880.

If I go to return the camera, would they be able to detect that Magic Lantern has been on it? I know ML isn’t illegal, but I’m still a bit worried about my warranty. If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know.

Thanks,

Dan

garyjay
      Participant

As far as I know ML will defo void your warranty. I installed it and it looked fantastic, but the problem I had was that when I tried to film, my canon 600d/t3i would stop recording after about 3 seconds, so I bottled it and uninstalled it and my camera worked fine again.

Personally I’ll just work without it for now, until I work out how to get past the problem.

robvile
      Participant

ML runs with the native canon OS, so it won't void your warrenty. It is also installed and run off of your SD cards, so every card will need to have the ML software and be installed for use the first time you put each SD card into your camera. 

If you notice anything unusual after installing ML, read through the instruction manual in the setup menu on your camera (its about 83 pages) and it will tell you everything you need to know. 

It's a great bit of software, and I use it regularly. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘DSLR’s’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.