T2i Dropped frames in footage – can you help me out?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Miscellaneous Techniques T2i Dropped frames in footage – can you help me out?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi everyone,

To my horror, having just shot my first comercial project, I get home to discover that the camera(a Canon T2i / 550D) has dropped frames. Its not a playback issue – its in the actual footage. Its jerky and looks terrible(obviously!). I belive its the fault of the class 6 SD memory card I was using

Is there any action I can take to save this footage and my skin, Im using Final Cut Express / Sony Vegas Platinum ?

help please!

Participant

I am not familiar with the camcorder or software you are using, but, in general terms, dropped frames are causedin the ‘capturing’ process, because a camcorder transferring material at a fixed-speed, tends to outrun the capacity of a computer without the ‘fire-power’ to keep-up with the demands being placed upon it. The computer, under those circumstances, has to resort to dropping-frames to ‘keep-up-with-the-play’, which is about the only thing it can do.

Another cause of jerky and dropped frames in my experience, is using a camcorder which multiplexes audio and video into a single stream, under conditions of high wind-pressures and extreme gusts. I once went to an extremely exposed coastal position locally, to try and film the shapes of sandhills being re-shaped by a gale with gusts to more than 125km/H. To give an indication, sudden changes in pressure were sufficient to cause the camcorder’s microphone diaphragm to wrinkle with a metallic tinkle in what was being recorded. That proved to be more than the camcorder was able to cope-with, and the picture became disjointed and proceeded in ‘fits-and-starts’ when displayed. However, I am talking ‘serious’ wind there, which blew my tripod over at one stage, and only being blown up against a wire fence, stopped it from disappearing over a cliff altogether. Similarly, having crouched low against the wind’s force at one juncture, I had my work cut-out getting back to my feet again.

Participant

I had a similar problem with the jerkiness in the footage. I didn’t notice it until I had made a render and thought it was something in Vegas.

I went back to the original footage right off the card and the problem was still there.

It’s the card. Sometimes even a class 6 isn’t up to the task, but it is very rare.

Here’s the clip in question:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvMhUWYj9Rs

Note when the girl raises her hand to move her hair around the 4 second mark and see if that’s the same thing you had happen.

It was a one time thing for me, and I haven’t had it happen since, but I’m always watching for it.

Just for the record, I’m shooting with a T2i as well and editing in Vegas Platinum 9

Inactive

You are not the only one. When you mention this to people the typical response is rolling shutter, jello and a variety of other terms. The fact is, if you Google this, so many people are having this issue with Canon DSLR’s. Even with a Class 10 card this situation can still occur and I’m not so convinced it’s the card. The problem is, as soon as you pan or tilt with any motion, you will get that jerk and again it’s not rolling shutter, it’s not jello, it’s not shutter speed. what you are seeing 90% on the web are non moving shots with DSLR’s. Then you get people stating, that jerk is 24 frames per second, it’s the “film look” and I disagree with that also, that’s not what it is. I’m convince it’s a problem with many of the Canon DSLR’s. And then you’ll get, it’s your “settings” and it’s not that either, neither the editing settings or the menu settings in the camera. I am convinced it is the processor in many of the Canon DSLR cameras

• Viewing 3 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
    homicide-bootstrap