Systems

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi Guys,

some of you who have been talking to me over the last weeks will know that my PC is really slow at Transcoding, so i am looking at getting a new system.

But first i want a few things cleared up:

1. I have read (and had experience of) AMD is not compatible with Premier and Encore, yet i have been looking at Bench test comparing Both Intel and AMD Duel and Single Core processors against each other using Premier and Encore. (AMD Duel Core won by miles if anyone is interested, nearly twice as fast). So has this been changed now?

2. Can i use the new 64bit chips? I have heard that 64bit chips have no drivers or anything written for them so you can use most programs and peripherals. Now i am not sure if i have this right, it may be Win XP 64bit that has no drivers for it and not the chips.

3. Relating to the above point, can i run a 64bit chip with Win XP Pro 32bit? I have read that XP 32 only allows the Chip to access up to 2Gb of Ram

4. I want to go for a nice large 300Gb SCSI HD to actually put the files on, but want to know if i need a SCSI drive to put the operating system and Programs on, or if i can get away with using a cheaper IDE HD?

5. Do i need a powerfull graphics card? I think i do so that i can alter effects while the file plays (my pc stops the file while it alters the settings, i assume that tis is a graphics limitation), but one of my mates who is into PC’s thinks that there is no need for the decent Graphics card.

Any other suggestions on a building an amazing system would be very much appreciated. I dont want to go for the best bits, but just under as there is always a huge price drop if you go for the second best, i.e. 380 for a Xeon 3.6G chip and only 180 for a 3.2G Xeon chip. So suggest away.

Thanks,

Jay

Inactive

Jay,

You realize that there are a million and one different ways to build a PC. There are so many different components out there that it is really impossible for one person to tell another person exactly what to do or what to recommend.

To make things easier, check out the link below (compliments of "compusolver"). He posted it in a different thread. I read through the whole thing and I thought it was very well done. This will at least get you going in the right direction. The rest is really up to you.

http://www.videoguys.com/DIY.html

BTW: Adobe Premiere Pro runs fine with AMD’s. Keep in mind that it’s not just the CPU but rather the combination of the CPU and the chip set on the MoBo’s that will determine how solid and stable your system will be. The only downside with AMD’s is that they run hot so you need to make sure that you have a good heatsink and cooling setup.

RAM

Inactive

Ey up mate,

cheers for the reply.

Do you know the answer to any of the other questins, such as my 64bit queery? or running my operating system on an IDE HD?

I will check the link and see what i can learn.

Your own personal oppinion is more than welcome though.

Cheers,

Jay

Inactive

Jay,

Im running the 32-bit version of XP Pro on a 64-bit chipset without any problems.

According to the Microsoft website, you can add a switch (/3GB) to the boot.ini file that allows applications to address 1GB of additional virtual address space above 2GB for several OS’s including XP Pro. The link is: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

With regards to the video card. Seems like I recall a post by Charles Fulton last year (maybe 2004) where he stated you didnt need a top-end video card; believe he said one with 32 MB of RAM would suffice. Ive always been told the CPU and memory were the key.

Definitely agree with your component buying strategy in order to save a few $$$.

Korak

Inactive

Ey up mate,

cheers for that reply, i think the link wilkl be really helpfull when / if i get the new system.

I am really glad to know that you run a 32bit OS on a 64bit system, as i dont want to have none of the peripherals work for me due to no driver support on the 64bit OS.

As for the Graphics card, this promps a question:

Is it normal for Premier to stop playback when you try to alter an effect placed on the clip. I was uner the impression that you could press SPACEBAR to play the clip while altering effects.

Is this due to the Processor or the Graphics card?

Cheers,

Jay

Inactive

Jay,

When you add filter effects or adjust key frames of a particular clip while its playing in the preview window, PP is forced to stop because it has to refresh the data currently in the memory to reflect the latest changes. In other words its normal for playing to stop. Im not sure that there are any NLEs that will keep playing while you make changes.

Audio on the other hand can be adjusted on the fly during playback. I’m not 100% sure but I’m thinking it’s because there isn’t as much data involved in an audio stream versus a video stream so your PC is able to keep up with everything. I could be wrong though.

RAM

Inactive

Ah right,

you have hit the nail on the head with that one.

You mentioned Audio, and that is where i have go the edit on the fly thing from.

A Video tutorial downloaded said to press the spacebar to edit on the fly, but it was editing audio effects at the time. I just took this to mean that any edits can be done like this and assumed it is my ONBOARD graphics that are the problem.

So, is there any piont in having a decent graphicvs card at all then? I am begining to think not as the onboard stuff i have does everything else perfectly.

You could have just saved me a silly ammount of money, cheers RAM

Jay

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap