System Recommendation for HD Editing.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I got a Sony HD camera as a Christmas present and then bought Pinnacle Studio Ultimate to edit the videos.

Well it took me about 10 hours to make a 23 minute HD video on my computer. I have a Quad QX6700 2.66 GHz cpu, NFORCE 6801 SLI4, 4 GB PC2 8500 Memory and a XFX 7950 GT with 512 megs. I cant believe how slowly it rendered and made the transitions. I almost gave up in boredom.

Is there anyway I can speed up this system or should I just get a faster setup to work on HD video? And if so what should I get?

Thanks Much.

Inactive

Your system specs appear to be fine for HD. I would guess (from study and experience) that the problem is probably a result of the software. One way to find out is to download a trial version of another editing program and see how long that takes.I would recommend that you download the 30 Day Trial of Sony Vegas and then compare render times:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials/moviestudiope

Price is comparable to Pinnacle, and capabilites are far higher. I’d be interested to know if you see any difference. Hope this helps.

Jeremy

Inactive

Its to do with the decompression/compression your pc has to do before it renders. Either render your hdv footage into uncompressed or another intermediate codec before you do the editing or buy a $10000 pro camera with less compression.

Inactive

Your system specs appear to be fine for HD. I would guess (from study and experience) that the problem is probably a result of the software. One way to find out is to download a trial version of another editing program and see how long that takes.I would recommend that you download the 30 Day Trial of Sony Vegas and then compare render times: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials/moviestudiope Price is comparable to Pinnacle, and capabilites are far higher. I’d be interested to know if you see any difference. Hope this helps. Jeremy

It did Jeremy. Vegas is much faster to edit with on this machine…much faster, so it’s almost a pleasure to edit now compared to Pinnacle. However, rendering a 30 minute HD video takes about 1:45 min. I think they only way I going to speed up the rendering time is to get a much faster comp.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Inactive

Its to do with the decompression/compression your pc has to do before it renders. Either render your hdv footage into uncompressed or another intermediate codec before you do the editing or buy a $10000 pro camera with less compression.

How would I decompress/compress to that intermediate codec? With some software?

Thanks for your reply.

Inactive

rendering times will also be greatly affected by what is done to those clips. are there a lot of effects applied? is there a lot of color correction? 3-d movement? are the frames having to be resized in any way? Project properties and render properties are compatible or the same? Also, check the program affinity to see how many cores are set to use. Vegas uses the processor and not the video card when rendering. Are you rendering to the same physical hard drive that the media is stored on? You shouldn’t be. Do you do regular maintenance on the computer (i.e. blow dust out of case, fans, heat sinks…., hard drive maintenance etc.)Heat buildup and improper ventilation will slow your computer down too.

If you want to look at using intermediate files for editing, take a look at gearshift (http://www.vasst.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=102&category_id=74&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=59)

use the intermediates to edit with and when you go to render, replace the intermediates with the original footage. Have fun with Vegas, it’s a great production tool. The studio versions are really good, but Vegas Pro will give the the best bang for your buck.

John

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camera stabilizers for video — 2021

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap